Newbie shooting a shoe catalog! Help!

monkeee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I am new to photography and i have an XTI with EFS 28-135, EFS 17-85 and the 50mm f/1.8

What lens should be appropriate for this job? I am trying to shoot to bring out the details, textures and the true color of the materials.

Could this be done with this lens? And if not what lens do you suggest? Do i need any additional lighting? Should i take the pictures with Flash? And what settings would be ideal for shooting indoors?

Thank you in advance,

Monkeee

The nifty fifty should work just fine, as long as you have the lighting taken care of.

If this is for a really to be published Catalog, why not hire a Pro(?), or are you a "new to photography" already doing professional work?

I believe it is all about lightning. Take a look at this

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

See if it helps.

I would try the 50mm 1st with a tripod. (a remote shutter maybe nice)
Also, I will try it with a smaller aperture. F/5.6 (sweet spot) .. maybe F/8 or higher depends on how you shoot it and the distance between the objects and the camera. Just need to make sure the entire shoes are in focus.

Product photography is so about the lighting. Lens choice is important, and the 50mm gives good detail and should work fine.....if you have the right lighting. Camera built in flash only will be hard to work with.

As said above. Any of the lenses you have will work. If you don't know anything about lighting, I suggest you learn and study other catalogs, especially if this is for a business depending on the quality to show case their products. You should probably be using at least two strobes for this.

I will shoot some pics and post is here for more inputs.....Cheers!

I believe it is all about lightning. Take a look at this

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

See if it helps.

I would try the 50mm 1st with a tripod. (a remote shutter maybe nice)
Also, I will try it with a smaller aperture. F/5.6 (sweet spot) .. maybe F/8 or higher depends on how you shoot it and the distance between the objects and the camera. Just need to make sure the entire shoes are in focus.

thats a nifty box made. What kind of paper is used to make the box? He mentions tissue paper and then "tracing" paper which I don't know what it is. Which one is better?

Most reactions

Back