Newbie to DSLR's has some questions

I'm still using my D70S and lovin' every outing with it. For what I want and need, it fits my needs just fine for now. 99% of my images are digital only. Rarely do I have anything printed, and when I do, it's no larger then a 8x10. The D70S has just enough features so I never feel limited or frustrated. I use the 5 focus points all the time, as florals, and macro florals are what I photograph most of the time.

I'll be the 1st to agree that the 2 inch LCD screen is small by today's 3 inch standard screens. There is no Live View option, so the only thing I use the screen for is some menu changes, and every once in a while making sure that I captured the image I was after. I don't shoot video, so not having that option is fine with me. Also by today's standards there aren't a lot of those million bells and whistle options. I do bracket and shoot some HDR imaging. The 3 frame max bracket is a limiting factor, but more then livable.

My next step up later this year will be to a D90.

Who made the 500 mm f/2.8? Nikon?

A quick phone call later: Apparently he sold it 6-7 years ago, but it was a 500mm f/4.5, a bit more reasonable I suppose. It was a sigma lens. I guess my childhood memories don't serve me too well.
A 500 mm f/2.8 lens would be huge.

The D90 also has a focus motor and pentaprism viewfinder....It won't meter with older non cpu lenses though....

After looking at cameras and asking questions for two months, last week i bought the D7000 along with a 16-85mm lens. I'm retired, so it won't be used a lot. The features go far beyond what I might need. But I used to be a professional (photo journalism) so I understand much of the uses and terminology.

The camera salesman quickly identified the advantages of the D7000 over the D90, D3100 or D5100. The D7000 has motors for focus in the camera. So you can use much older Nikon lenses. The CLS lighting feature is useful and sophisticated. The genuine PentaPrism viewfinder is far superior to the finder in lesser models. Those are two obvious advantages that allow expanding use in the future.

I would get a Nikon D5100 body with 35mm 1.8G. or if you have older lens from your father, the D7000. - that's if you have targets which you can walk too and your not a sports photographer or wildlife.

Most reactions

Back