Newbie with questions. Details provided :)

brighamr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am not completely new to photography, but I'm not a pro either. I'm leaving on a cross-country trip next week and I'm looking for a digital cam that's pretty versatile, while in the cheaper price range (in case it gets stolen, lost, or damaged).

I'm open to P&S or DSLR, but I know the cheapest DSLR will probably be out of price range. (Looking to keep it below $400 if at all possible).

What I'm looking for:
10x optical zoom or better
fast shutter speed (for catching moving animals)
good picture quality (>6mp)
ability to manual focus and auto

I'm not even sure if a camera exists that meets this criteria, but I hope someone can help me out.

TIA!

EBay the canon XT is a great camera for what ur looking for

10x optical zoom or better
fast shutter speed (for catching moving animals)
good picture quality (>6mp)
ability to manual focus and auto

Optical zoom is a function of the lens, not the individual camera body. This isnt obvious on a P&S because the lens and the camera body are one unit.

I would say most dSLR's and P&S's have shutter speed to accomplish this. The fastest I've seen is 1/8000. If you've got something that can make faster than that, then you're just out of luck. But I would say that 1/4000 should be somewhere in the norm for these cameras. Again, you'll be well served with any choice in this regard.

You're going to get A LOT of debate on mega-pixels and how it translates to "picture quality". I'm going to go in the camp that suggests anything between 6 and 10 isn't going to offer earth shattering differences for the amateur photog looking to make 4X6 prints of their work.

And finally, manual versus auto focus - completely up to you on a good dSLR.

If you're looking to buy used, I would suggest a G or A powershot series from Canon for a P&S, or a D50/D70 used dSLR from Nikon. Both can certainly be had on the cheap if you know how to haggle and do your research.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Back