Newborn idea- does it work?

Aayria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just wanted to share the first shot I've edited from today's newborn session. Most of the session was more standard and less whimsical, but I did one set up that was just an idea I wanted to try. What do you think? Too "out there?" Or cute?

Oh I wanted to add..the light was TERRIBLE for this shoot. I planned on nice bright window light, but it was pitch black and storming all day here, so we just had indoor lamp lighting plus high ISO's. >< Overall I think we were able to get a few good shots, but the whole shoot just felt disappointing overall. I was somewhat pleasantly pleased with this shot at least.

4806742585_252b58ef98.jpg

This one doesnt work for me but I think its because of the lighting. All the black blends in and the photo loses detail. Once the lighting is better than maybe it'll work.

This one doesnt work for me but I think its because of the lighting. All the black blends in and the photo loses detail. Once the lighting is better than maybe it'll work.

The light really was just awful. I keep avoiding off camera lighting because so far, finding good natural light and positioning correctly from a window has been great. But if I keep running into situations like this, I think a good softbox at the very least is going to have to fit into the budget.

Maybe I can play a bit in lightroom and bring back some of the detail, but with the high ISO's it's likely to cause too much graininess. Thanks for commenting!

I just lightened the shadows some to see the details.
Sorry, I just dont see it appealing at this time. Maybe if the open space/background wasnt in the shot, a closer crop, different angle? Im not sure.
Try a tighter crop and lower angle next time. I know you can make it work.

Last edited:
I think the edit works wonderfully.

Looks creepy to me. It seems like it should be a funeral shot IMO.

I could be way off since I'm out of the norm and don't find babies cute. At all.

/2 cents

I really like this.

I like most babies, but I'm not afraid to say that some are not cute! ^ :lol:

I thought I'd give it a new edit, now mind you this will be somewhat pixelized as I cropped it tighter. But it might give some insight.

Last edited:
I wish I could reach in there and tilt the baby's head just a hair to the left. :meh:

Looks kind of funereal with the sleeping infant...not very appealing to me. Maybe if it were Elvira's baby or something...otherwise, I dunno...I think with a white satin drape and white feathers, it would look angelic and ethereal, but this looks deathly.

Looks kind of funereal with the sleeping infant...not very appealing to me. Maybe if it were Elvira's baby or something...otherwise, I dunno...I think with a white satin drape and white feathers, it would look angelic and ethereal, but this looks deathly.
Yeah, I think thats whats bugging me.

Honestly, the more people are talking about death and funerals the more I'm seeing this as a memorial photo or something. Unfortunately I'm starting to not like it anymore and find myself wishing that it was on a soft pink or soft blue, maybe even yellow background.

I think what may be giving off the funeral vibe is the lack of color. I would go with a wrap in a blue or green to bring out the colors in the peacock feathers. Also maybe invest in a speedlight to bounce when you have a lack of lighting.

Here's another edit... I'm still not totally happy with it, but is the mood better?

4807638770_051dcac694.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back