newborn of a minor, who signs the model release?

Which goes back to the fact the OP needs to talk to a lawyer that knows publication law, instead of seeking legal advice in a photography forum.

c.cloudwalker said:
What a pro would do is find a newborn whose mother is of age so as not to deal with this situation :)

Although I do not necessarily agree with the prospect of teen pregnancy... I don't think it would be right to take away their right to have pictures... Especially not knowing anything of their situation. They may not live in the kind of circumstance you assume they may.

A pro would be very reluctant to put themselves in an iffy legal situation.

I am not a lawyer, but I don't think a release signed by the parents of the 17-year old would apply to the newborn.

Unless the 17 year old is legally emancipated I think the OP should turn down the job. Another issue is the 17 year old cannot be legally bound to any contract she signs.

A minor can sign a contract if the minor's guardian authorizes the minor to do so.

It is true that the grandparents cannot sign for the infant, and it may be true that the parent cannot legally sign a contract, her parents can authorize her to sign for the infant. Just have everyone sign the release.

I was about to respond with what I would do in this situation, and it coincides with what people have said in this thread as well, but honestly, I don't think you should feel comfortable taking my advise on the matter. I'm in no way qualified to offer up a solution. It would seem logical that the mother signs for the baby and the grandmother signs to legalize the mothers signature as a minor, but I sincerely hope you don't go signing documents based on my "best guess."

I'm curious as to how this turned out?

One thing nobody brought up- is she married? In some states giving birth means automatic emancipation of a minor, in others being married before 18 means automatic emancipation. Did either of these apply in your case?

she backed out. it was a TFP deal so I can practice the shots and at first she was all for it and didnt have a problem with the model release. then she didnt want to sign the model release but still wanted the shoot. Once I explained there was no point in me doing the shoot for free with out the release they decided not to do the shoot. Which I didnt mind, I was having slight kidney stone pains that day and it would have meant a 45 minute drive to their house. Plus the boy was 6 days old and Ive read that the best time to do a newborn shoot is 4-6 days to get those cute poses.

Yeah I would just have them both sign.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back