Resources for Contracts, Model Releases, etc.

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good day all!

Quick question...But first, I've done a search around TPF and not been able to find what I'm looking for...I realize that I might be missing it, so feel free to point me in the right direction if you know of another thread that answers these questions...

Basically, I'm looking into being prepared to "begin launching" my freelance photography biz next spring and want to be prepared. I've read about the bulk of the basics but would like to get some feedback regarding a good place to find legal documents without spending hundreds of dollars (and, I don't want to start a debate between the "get a lawyer" and "you don't need no stinking lawyer" crowds). I'm starting incredibly small and will grow my contract, etc. as/if things go as planned.

Currently, I'm looking for sample contracts for your basic shoots, senior, portraits, family, headshots, and for sample model releases and print releases.

Any help, insight, direction is appreciated.

Thanks all!

There are lots of resources including PPA, ASMP, and other professional organizations which will provide starting points. Additionally, there are lots of 'e-release' apps such as Top Model Release and others which come with pre-built templates. That aside, I can't over-stress the importance of having a qualified legal professional review your documents once you have them drafted. The $500 - 1000 you'll spend to have everything reviewed and "corrected" by an IP lawyer working in your region could save you a LOT of money and heartache down the road.

That aside, I can't over-stress the importance of having a qualified legal professional review your documents once you have them drafted. The $500 - 1000 you'll spend to have everything reviewed and "corrected" by an IP lawyer working in your region could save you a LOT of money and heartache down the road.

This is what I have in mind...I'd like to get the vast majority of the contract, release, etc. completed and then simply have an attorney review it for accuracy, loopholes, etc. I feel like this can save me some money while also giving me the protection that I know I need to have. I'll check out the resources you mentioned...I downloaded a model release app on my phone and looked through the releases they have there but I'm most worried about functionality and the ability to save my contracts/releases across platforms and historically...

ASMP has a 'pocket' release - and an app. I got a book w/CD of sample forms etc. that I found thru their site - can't remember the name offhand but it's by Tad Crawford.

They also offer webinars, etc. related to the business aspects of photography and some are available to nonmembers. Sounds like you're already well on your way.

Here is Tad Crawford's inexpensive book:
Business and Legal Forms for Photographers

Retail photography contracts usually get reviewed and updated at least every 6 months.
Your model release should be a clause in your contract.
Your pricing should include a discount for the client agreeing to the terms of the model release.
If the client does not allow use of their likeness per the model release, they would then lose that discount.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is Tad Crawford's inexpensive book:
Business and Legal Forms for Photographers

Retail photography contracts usually get reviewed and updated at least every 6 months.
Your model release should be a clause in your contract.
Your pricing should include a discount for the client agreeing to the terms of the model release.
If the client does not allow use of their likeness per the model release, they would then lose that discount.

Suhweet! That book looks to be pretty much what I'm looking for. It's added to the Amazon wishlist and will more than likely be headed my way within the next 24 hours. :) Great advice, thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back