Newborn photography lenses

Stefana M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am looking for 1-2 lenses on a Nikon750 for newborn photography.

I did around 10 sessions with my crop camera and now decided to switch to full.

My budget would be around 1000€ because I am still at the beginning and don't want to invest a fortune.

A lot of suggestions i've had so far nclude:

sigma 50mm 1.4 or nikon 50mm 1.8

85mm 1.8

24-120 f4

100mm 2.8

I'm thinking about a 50mm and the 105mm sigma...
Would appreciate a feedback on these ones and even new suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:
For this purpose I bought the Sigma 105 f1.4 Art. Slightly above your price but boy what a lens. I did find it a little on the long side tho, probably better suited to out door portraiture but I managed for my needs.

Last edited:
Although a lot of glass will work, but I'd recommend a portrait lens. There are several very, very good 85mm f/1.8 lenses out there that will do a great job. 85mm let's you get back far enough to avoid distortion and not be intrusive. You'll be able to shoot in lower natural light situations at f/1.8. Here are the ratings of the more popular brands for Nikon from DxOMark.com. I decided on the Tamron as I believe it's a nice balance between IQ, price, and weight and size. It has served me well. After an 85mm portrait lens, I'd keep a nifty fifty handy when you want to get in a bit closer.

If you would like to try before you buy, go to lensrental.com. If you'd like to buy used and save a few bucks, go to KEH.com and look for E+, E, or E- rated lenses. KEH.com is very reputable, has a 14 day return policy and offers warranties at a reasonable price.

85mm comparison.JPG

I used a 24-120 with my D750 and it is one of the most versatile lenses I've used. I'm sure it would be more than adequate for your needs.

Hi Stefana, I was exactly the same when I started out and choosing a lens is so critical.

I started of with the 24-70mm but found that it was not as sharp as a prime lens.

A 50mm is a good lens but you may find that you are not able to capture your entire subject if you are wanting to do prop shots.

I now invested in the following two lenses I predominately use in all newborn shoots - 35mm 1.4 and a 100mm macro.

Personally I would not opt for a f4 lens as you want to stick around the 2 - 3.5 for newborn photography.

All photos taken on my website are using the 35mm - www.tinyhandsphotography.com.au

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Most reactions

Back