Newborn Photography: Something Different

Farmclicker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am different; and with half her genetics sustained from me...well she will most likely be different as well, so we tried something a little different when it came to some newborn photos. I tried to get some inspiration by looking up some images on Flickr, Google, and Bing, but to me everything looked the same. You be the judge and let me know if it worked or not. (The last one seems radical, but I am a welder at a shipyard in my day job).

As for the model, she was the best I ever worked with. At 3-5 days old she holds her position quite well, but I admit I am adamantly biased! :)

8794950896_a54f08970f_z.jpg
[/URL] Baby Girl [/IMG]

8794941854_bfd441abca_z.jpg
[/URL] Tumble [/IMG]

8816014631_b55ba9efa8_z.jpg
[/URL] Dept 43 [/IMG]

I actually like the last one best. Lol

My advice... get something else set up for backdrops and blankets. Think solids. The floral prints compete with the baby for focus here and there are too many other props and elements to these that also take away focus from the baby. They seem a bit dark as well and your white balance I think is definitely struggling as well. She is a beautiful little girl, make her the focus of your images.

Im on shift today, so im stuck viewing them on my phone unless i get a break later and can look at them from my computer at the station... Which means i cant say much technical wise. Composition wise... I think these are great. Its nice to see something besides the same old baby poses over and over.

Congratulations, what a cutie! Agree with frommrstomommy about the patterns. I love the idea behind #1 and #3 but think they would be better with a neutral backdrop. #2 looks too much like the baby fell off the chair.

Congratulations on your brand new little one. :)

Yeah... I am sorry. Not a fan. She is a real cutie though! Congratulation! I really have a problem with the pink blanket. Just the pattern and the material looks tacky.. I understand you want to be different. I really dont get what you are trying to do. #1 I am not sure what is up with the shoes, #2 looks like she fell from the rocking horse. The last one I do not get the concept at all.

I understand you want to be different. I really dont get what you are trying to do. #1 I am not sure what is up with the shoes, #2 looks like she fell from the rocking horse. The last one I do not get the concept at all.

Exactly

The concept of the last one is explained, OP is a welder, thus daughter is surrounded by welding tools.

I agree on the background. The multi patterned blanket may be different but it's not different in a good way (imho).

#1 She's lost in the crowd. (We had a crocheted blanket identical to that pink and blue one! ;) )

#2 Fell of the rocking horse might work with a plain background but I'd shoot it from ground level looking up toward the horse with baby in the foreground (might not work - just thinking "different").

#3 With a plain background this would be one for the wall of the welders' break room. ;)

Colour balance - I suspect your camera is struggling with too many colours from the background and your baby's skin tone is suffering in consequence.

Different is a good idea but often times, if you break too many unwritten rules, you'll be the only person who likes it. :(

...and finally, CONGRATULATION on producing a beautiful model you can experiment on for the next 18 to 20 years. ;)

Thanks for the replies and I agree with the assessments. It is pretty obvious I struggle with backdrops as I am not a professional, nor do I have the equipment to make the backgrounds better. I have always done photos in natural light and typically outdoors so setting up an improvised studio has been challenging and a failure. You clearly show that I need to invest in some backdrops and not improvise with blankets for sure.

Light is also an issue too. It has really been rainy here for every day she has been alive (6 days) so its been troublesome. I have some chicken brood lights that can help with that I think.

As for the last point; I can completely understand why no one gets the point of a newborn surrounded by contrasting, harsh welding gear. I actually alluded to it in my post though, but will further explain it here. I work at a shipyard with 7000 workers who are proud of our trades and so this will be the photo in her birth announcement at our shipyard and union hall. In that regard it makes sense, but for anyone else I can see why it would be like, "What the fanny pack????"

As always, thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for the replies and I agree with the assessments. It is pretty obvious I struggle with backdrops as I am not a professional, nor do I have the equipment to make the backgrounds better. I have always done photos in natural light and typically outdoors so setting up an improvised studio has been challenging and a failure. You clearly show that I need to invest in some backdrops and not improvise with blankets for sure.

Light is also an issue too. It has really been rainy here for every day she has been alive (6 days) so its been troublesome. I have some chicken brood lights that can help with that I think.

As for the last point; I can completely understand why no one gets the point of a newborn surrounded by contrasting, harsh welding gear. I actually alluded to it in my post though, but will further explain it here. I work at a shipyard with 7000 workers who are proud of our trades and so this will be the photo in her birth announcement at our shipyard and union hall. In that regard it makes sense, but for anyone else I can see why it would be like, "What the fanny pack????"

As always, thanks for the kind words.

I saw the point of the welder photo!! :D :D :D :D

I understand about backgrounds, I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I got a black one and a white one off Ebay with a frame and some clamps and it made a HUGE difference in my results!!

I understand you are a welder. I got that part. But mixing it with pink background is where you lost me. Perhaps it is better if you put her in a more industrial setting.

If you have to explain the photo then the photo does not work.

You say you're "different", and since we are all unique, I don't understand what you mean by "different". Different how?

1. cute kid
2. fair photographs
3. acceptable concepts
4. failed execution

#1 cluttered, discordant setup Why the shoes? We don't know why they're there, let alone why they are so prominent in the picture.
#2 cluttered, discordant setup Nice rocker, but your backdrop should be something else.
#3 cluttered, discordant setup Why put a chipping hammer on the baby? Maybe she should wake up and start going after your toes.

I disagree. He wouldn't have to explain the photo to the actual audience it's intended for - his work buddies.

I disagree. He wouldn't have to explain the photo to the actual audience it's intended for - his work buddies.

But he is showing it to us and we are NOt his work buddy's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back