Newborn Session

cdnaiphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had the most difficult session of my life yesterday...I could not take the child outside (as most newborn sessions are inside), use props (which I was able to use MINIMAL props in the end), use any flash, or have the baby without clothes on...

Here are some from the session...

I know some are kinda noisy but....

_DSC01522.jpg

_DSC01412.jpg

_DSC01382.jpg

In the end, this was a huge learning experience for me...tell me what ya think :)

I think you did well under the circumstances, but all seem somewhat soft, and 1 & 3 have strong red/magenta casts.

well even though i've never photographed a baby, i would suggest not using flash. it hurts my friends eyes when i use flash, i cant even imagine about a baby!
i have a a canon powershot [[a1000is]] and i use the portrait setting for almost everything ;] so i might suggest trying that if the rebel has it [[im sorry, i would know more if i had a dslr :/]]
and i think the window idea is very good :] lots of light so flash isnt even neccessary

I NEVER use flash. I was trying to stay away from it. This is ALL window light.

You seem proud at the fact you never use flash, which confuses me.

Honestly, these looks like quick P&S shots with a Sony cybershot.

1. It's soft, red, composed strangely (baby is at an angle sliding out of the basket, etc), and the baby needs to lose the pacifier as it takes up alot of room on that little face.

2. Soft, bad shadows/light, bad expression

3. Better, but still soft and red.

You seem proud at the fact you never use flash, which confuses me.

Honestly, these looks like quick P&S shots with a Sony cybershot.

1. It's soft, red, composed strangely (baby is at an angle sliding out of the basket, etc), and the baby needs to lose the pacifier as it takes up alot of room on that little face.

2. Soft, bad shadows/light, bad expression

3. Better, but still soft and red.

I am seeing the softness now and I think that is my PP. I was trying out a skin softening thing that I had learned because the baby had some bad bumps on her little face. I think I could have done that a little better.

The pacifier was not GOING ANYWHERE! LOL I was kinda hoping it would disappear also ;)

As far as the flash goes, no not proud. I was trying to always stay away from a flash and stay with available light because I simply just like the look better BUT I ordered an SB900 last night because, lets face it, I am limiting myself if I dont have that option.

Thanks for the thoughts though! I am always trying to improve!

The SB-900 will improve your shots by leaps and bounds. I you are looking for a softer (IE window light) look to the photo, you can try something like a diffuser for your flash, or simply bouncing the light off the ceiling so it falls nicely over the baby. This also helps because the flash isn't hitting the baby directly, hurting it's eyes.

Where these 3 shots taken in the same position or same lighting because every shot was taken with the same settings, the softness is down to DOF which you missed, i also can't believe you won't use flash because you have total control over lighting when using flash

Most reactions

New Topics

Back