Newby in photography

immafreebeetch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi mates! I'm just new in photography i just recently bought a D3000 as my first Digital-SLR I've been taking lots of photos now and yet I haven't been satisfied with my shots - mainly the lightings. I know digital retouches like photoshop editing are also needed and I'm quite good in that but I'm trying to avoid that technique. Can some of you can help me or give me tips how to set up my camera especially in a low light surroundings? Or at least give me some basic tips and tricks to adjust in different light settings. Thanks in advance!

I'm by no means an expert (I'm a newbie as well), but here's what I know:

- Avoid using flash at all costs, even in low light surroundings... unless you need to freeze something in motion at night.
- Get a tripod. Or at least scope out some flat surfaces to put your camera on when shooting in low light, because you'll need shutter speeds as long as 1-30 seconds if it's dark out. Also either buy a shutter cable release or use the timer function on your camera so that the action of pressing the shutter button doesn't blur your photo.
- Try to keep your ISO in the 50-400 range if possible. The lower the better.
- Try to shoot during dawn, before the sky is pitch black--the sky will look a lot more interesting.

Hopefully that helps a little.

I'm by no means an expert (I'm a newbie as well), but here's what I know:

- Avoid using flash at all costs, even in low light surroundings... unless you need to freeze something in motion at night.
- Get a tripod. Or at least scope out some flat surfaces to put your camera on when shooting in low light, because you'll need shutter speeds as long as 1-30 seconds if it's dark out. Also either buy a shutter cable release or use the timer function on your camera so that the action of pressing the shutter button doesn't blur your photo.
- Try to keep your ISO in the 50-400 range if possible. The lower the better.
- Try to shoot during dawn, before the sky is pitch black--the sky will look a lot more interesting.

Hopefully that helps a little.

Yikes, I disagree.

On camera flash w/o diffuser is harsh and gives out flat lighting (lack of depth). For people photography, use flash but diffuse it by either bouncing it off walls/ceiling or use some sort of a diffuser. As far as ISO range, the lower isn't necessarily better. Low ISO will generally produce less noise but you also want to have the proper exposure and proper exposure at times will call for higher ISO (especially when not using flash). It's the photographer's personal preference and his own understanding of his equipment to set the right ISO to minimize noise and still get the correct exposure. Each camera will handle noise at higher ISO differently, there's no set number. Golden hour (dawn and dusk) gives the sky and light more interesting colors. Interesting cloud formations can also add to a photograph.

To the OP, post some pictures and camera settings. That way, it's easier to see what you're doing/not doing.

I would recommend getting photoshop elements 10 because it is very hard to get photos perfect in camera, also it is very easy to learn but contains many of the main features that will be used. Just keep shooting and shooting and have fun!

how to setup your camera properly for lighting conditions.......

sounds lime you need to understand the exposure triangle.

do some reading on here, around the web, and YouTube.

search for info on exposure triangle and also search for light metering.

the triangle is the basics. If you don't understand it, you're going to be hindered.

I have lots of links I'll be happy to post, but I'm not at my desk. When I am, I will.

2nd the yikes. And agree with a request for pics and settings. You will get some valuable suggestions on the both the technical and compositional side of your photos. When posting photos, please try to keep it to a couple of shots that highlight the areas were you are struggling. As an added benefit, others will get to learn too! PP can do a lot of things but it's always best to start of with the correct exposures before you start to manipulate. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all your kind responses.
First @borisnikon I'm pretty knowledgable in manipulating photos and per my post says i'm trying to avoid photoshop as for now reason being that if from the start i will depend on photoshop then i might not be able to learn what real photography is.
:)

2nd about the exposure triangle, thanks sir I will definitely search and read what that stuff is and will greatly appreciate if you share your ref of it too :)

3rd Yeah i heard about the magical hour that gives a very interesting colors of the sky but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks mates! Cheers!

I'm by no means an expert (I'm a newbie as well), but here's what I know:- Avoid using flash at all costs, even in low light surroundings... unless you need to freeze something in motion at night.- Get a tripod. Or at least scope out some flat surfaces to put your camera on when shooting in low light, because you'll need shutter speeds as long as 1-30 seconds if it's dark out. Also either buy a shutter cable release or use the timer function on your camera so that the action of pressing the shutter button doesn't blur your photo.- Try to keep your ISO in the 50-400 range if possible. The lower the better.- Try to shoot during dawn, before the sky is pitch black--the sky will look a lot more interesting.Hopefully that helps a little.
I disagree as well. Flash is not evil. If used incorrectly it can make for a poor photo, but that doesn't mean that it should be avoided. Instead, it should be studied so an educated decision can be made on whether to use a faster lens, or a flash.Unless you're shooting long exposure, or a landscape, it's not paramount to keep your ISO in such a low range, especially if you're shooting movement.

I'm by no means an expert (I'm a newbie as well), but here's what I know:- Avoid using flash at all costs, even in low light surroundings... unless you need to freeze something in motion at night.- Get a tripod. Or at least scope out some flat surfaces to put your camera on when shooting in low light, because you'll need shutter speeds as long as 1-30 seconds if it's dark out. Also either buy a shutter cable release or use the timer function on your camera so that the action of pressing the shutter button doesn't blur your photo.- Try to keep your ISO in the 50-400 range if possible. The lower the better.- Try to shoot during dawn, before the sky is pitch black--the sky will look a lot more interesting.Hopefully that helps a little.
I disagree as well. Flash is not evil. If used incorrectly it can make for a poor photo, but that doesn't mean that it should be avoided. Instead, it should be studied so an educated decision can be made on whether to use a faster lens, or a flash.Unless you're shooting long exposure, or a landscape, it's not paramount to keep your ISO in such a low range, especially if you're shooting movement.

I agree that flash is not evil, but... Yeah, you knew I was going to throw that in there. BUT... When you are learning the exposure triangle-learn the exposure triangle. No flash. When you throw flash in it changes a lot of the rules AND it also messes with what you are learning. Plus learning flash AND exposure basics at the same time can be a LOT to learn at once. It'll just make it harder.

You say digital retouches like PS are necessary? NO!!! It's not!!! If you get it right in the camera you shouldn't have to open your image in photoshop unless you are doing something CREATIVE or extreme with the image. I RARELY do any actual work in photoshop. I shoot raw, develop in Adobe Camera Raw and batch process to make sure I get a full size image, websized/watermarked image. That's it. No EDITING what-so-ever on 90% of my images or more. Don't even think about photoshop. If you think "eh, I can fix it in photoshop" you will never be any good as a photographer. You'll just become a photoshop artist.

MLeeK said:
I agree that flash is not evil, but... Yeah, you knew I was going to throw that in there. BUT... When you are learning the exposure triangle-learn the exposure triangle. No flash. When you throw flash in it changes a lot of the rules AND it also messes with what you are learning. Plus learning flash AND exposure basics at the same time can be a LOT to learn at once. It'll just make it harder.

You say digital retouches like PS are necessary? NO!!! It's not!!! If you get it right in the camera you shouldn't have to open your image in photoshop unless you are doing something CREATIVE or extreme with the image. I RARELY do any actual work in photoshop. I shoot raw, develop in Adobe Camera Raw and batch process to make sure I get a full size image, websized/watermarked image. That's it. No EDITING what-so-ever on 90% of my images or more. Don't even think about photoshop. If you think "eh, I can fix it in photoshop" you will never be any good as a photographer. You'll just become a photoshop artist.

Yeah i totally agree with the PS issue :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back