next lens to buy after kit lens

deepakaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi,
i have been using my Nikon D3100 with 18-55 kit lens..i would like to upgrade myself with lens...pls suggest which lens should i go for now.....i am looking for a lens which is sharp..and covers focal length range of landscape to portraits like 16/18 to 70/85/100...budget is upto 1000$....
thanks...

That looks like you're wanting to replace your kit lens instead of adding to it, is that what I read?

I almost purchased the Nikon 16-85mm lens, which fits your description of what you're looking for. It is an excellent lens and is rated very highly. I was in the same boat 6 months ago. I was debating between the Nikon 16-85 and a Sigma 17-70 C (new version). I ended up purchasing a Sigma 17-70 due to being a f/2.8-4, lower light capabilities. I really like the Sigma lens a lot. It is a very sharp lens and It is also much cheaper than the Nikon 16-85.

This might give you a good idea of the range of photos this lens can shoot.

I would check out www.keh.com. If you don't mind buying used, they have a lot of used equipment and is a company I would trust purchasing from.

hi,
i have been using my Nikon D3100 with 18-55 kit lens..i would like to upgrade myself with lens...pls suggest which lens should i go for now.....i am looking for a lens which is sharp..and covers focal length range of landscape to portraits like 16/18 to 70/85/100...budget is upto 1000$....
thanks...

While I am still very much in the learning stage but am progressing quickly, I have learned a couple of things.
First of all look on ebay at all the brands and lenses being sold. That will give you a one stop peek at the brands you should look at: Nikon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. Remember you will need a lens with an internal motor as your camera won't focus an AF lens as it does not have a auto focus drive focus motor in the camera. :You will have to buy an AFS lens.
Secondly, fast glass, 2.8 or better is going to cost more. I would suggest that if you have $1,000 to spend, you should consider buying a D7000 or D7100 with a kit lense like the 18-140 AFS VR. You can find some great deals on both right now. You will then have a higher level, more flexible camera that can use both D AF and AFS lenses.
Keep the 18-55 which is a good lens and sell the 3100 or keep it as a backup.

I replaced my 18-55 kit lens with the previously mentioned Sigma 17- 70 and it is a great "do it all" sort of lens. Great for walking around or vacation when you don't want to haul around too much. I got mine used from B&H or Adorama and saved a good bit. I highly recommend used or refurb from a reputable store like B&H, Adorama or Cameta. Or check the for sale section on the forum. You can really stretch your investment that way.

If you're not familiar with them, prime lenses (which have a fixed focal length and therefore do not zoom) are typically both the highest performers and the best values. While f/2.8 is a very fast zoom, f/1.4 (and faster) primes have been around forever, and you don't have to spend much to get a sharp high-performer. It does mean you'll have to choose focal lengths carefully, but this can help break some bad habits as well if you're accustomed to zooms. For my APS-C Nikon DSLR, my 35mm f/1.8G is indispensable, and you can get a new one for under $200 from reputable sellers. A normal prime is always the first lens I buy after the kit lens, but everyone's different.

Some people like zooms and some people like primes, but if you haven't tried a prime yet, it might be a good idea. You could cover a handful of focal lengths with your $1000 if you wanted to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back