Next lens to get?

Justin Meichner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum, I came here to get advice on the next lens I should get. I have a Sony A7RII and the sony fe 24-105mm f/4 g oss lens as well as the Rokinon 14mm lens. I mainly do beach photography/landscapes. Trying to step up my photo game by adding a different lens to my kit that I can use on the beach. Any recommendations? Not trying to destroy the bank.

I think you need a good long focal length lens. A 70 -200, either f/2.8 or f/4, would be your best people/ portrait/beach lens.

I think you need a good long focal length lens. A 70 -200, either f/2.8 or f/4, would be your best people/ portrait/beach lens.
Hi Derrel!

Thank you for responding! Which one would you recommend?

Hi Derrel!

Thank you for responding! Which one would you recommend?
Or do you think I should get a better wide angle lens for landscapes? Or should that be the next one after the one you mentioned above?

Or do you think I should get a better wide angle lens for landscapes? Or should that be the next one after the one you mentioned above?
Is there anything wrong with your current wide angle?

Is there anything wrong with your current wide angle?
I don’t think the Rokinon 14m was made properly. Not all that clear and it has some distortion.

70-200 f/4 is much less-expensive, and it's also smaller and lighter and easier to carry than an F / 2.8. I used to do photography on the beach and an 80-400 or a 100 to 400 is also good. I am not much of a fan of wide-angle lenses. The 70 -200 is a good landscape lens.

.. Rokinon 14mm lens. I mainly do beach photography/landscapes.
An odd thing about landscape photography: Most people assume that because they can see a fairly wide swath of landscape with their eyes that they should automatically grab a wide-angle lens for shooting landscapes. The problem with that approach is that the photographs never seem to look the same as what they saw when they were there.

Start using a longer lens for landscapes and watch your photographs take on a new dimension.

Agree with Designer.

I have multiple cameras but I set the majority of the digicams to a square format on landscape. (partially to avoid turning the camera).

I do this to force myself to LOOK at the image I want a bit more carefully. (do I really need a 3:2 or 16:1 WF image? )

I also (this is just me) shoot with manual lenses (like your Rokinon) but I use Med. Format lenses and older Minolta lenses to do the job.

I do this again to force myself to shape the image, and also because Med. Format lenses has a much larger 'sweet spot" that allows me to have MUCH less distortion on landscape images than a standard 35mm.

If you don't want to pursue that, the trick isn't so much wide angle as it is lens quality.
focus on DoF with landscape over a specific lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back