next step...

Corvphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i just bought my Canon speedlight 430 ex II but now im getting antsy. I was thinking about buying this, [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W3IXZW/ref=s9_ps_bw_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gp-center-8&pf_rd_r=0F27K3A6CZV5FQ9H37KK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1271855182&pf_rd_i=502394]Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio: Camera & Photo[/ame] , should i? or should i go for like a ring flash? im a newbie trying to upgrade my "arsenal"

Personally, I would stay away from cheap radio triggers like that. I find that if it triggers 3 out of 4 times, you're doing well. If you really want radio triggers on a budget, look to the latest model Cactus. Still inexpensive, and not 100% reliable, but much better.

A ring flash is a fairly specialized tool, and unless you know that you're going to use it, probably not worth the money to you at this stage.

Do you know how to use your 430? and I don't mean turning it on-pointing straight and shooting.
If not, learn the basic operation of flash photography (bouncing when to and not to do, diffusers, etc) and then think about investing more $.

I have those triggers. They work pretty well for the price. The cactus ones that tirediron mentioned are similar in price and if he says they're better I'd consider getting them instead.

Keep in mind that you lose the ability to TTL meter with these cheap poppers. Basically, mine work 90-95% of the time. If you have your flash on manual mode, focal distance set manually, and the flash is fully recycled, it goes off without a hitch. They're great for a beginner I think and they work well enough for paid shoots if you're good enough at setting things manually.

i can also vouch for the cactus V4s.
i actually dropped them...on concrete...and something came loose and is rattling around in there...both on the receiver and the transmitter...still works 100% of the time consistently.

i will echo IgsEMT as well...
get comfy with it first. angle, bounce, diffuse...
it's amazing what can be achieved with a nice flash like that.

have fun!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back