Next Steps???

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I know this question has been beaten to death in these forums, but I'll ask anyway.

I'm at a point where I think I can begin to charge for my work. I've done a few shoots for free just to get the experience of going on location, whether outdoors or somebody's house and I have a few more scheduled in the coming weeks. Let me provide some ideas on what I'd like to do as far as those services and you guys can tell me if anything is missing from this:

1. I'd like to do photo shoots that last about an hour. Throw in setup and breakdown plus getting to and from the location and it could come to 3 hours.
2. I'd like to provide the client with 100 images.
3. Of those 100 images, they could pick 5 that I will process and provide to them as jpegs and tiffs.
4. I would provide the rest as unprocessed full size jpegs.
5. If they would like me to provide prints, I would and just past that charge on to them.

That's really it. This is something I would do in my spare time, mostly on weekends, so I won't be quitting my day job. I guess just for some extra money.

So now the question that has been asked probably 10,000 times. What do I charge for this??? I'm located in Northeast NJ and my experience is obvious.

What I think I want to charge is $75 per hour and $50 for the processing for all 5 images (Any additional image they want is an extra $20 per image).

Is this too low? Is it about right? I think it's low but given my experience, it sounds right.

Like I mentioned, I may be missing something huge in this whole thought process, but I hope you guys will let me know.

Also, I did once have an LLC for IT consulting that I did on the side so I do have some idea of the business side of things, but even still, I am probably missing something.

Thanks,
Danny

Business plan, license, tax ID, insurance, accountant, etc is next steps? Or you've done all that sillyness?

Danny, if you are just looking to see if "the price is right", then there are many factors that we can't necessarily answer because they may be directly related to your location, demographics etc etc. Only you can do the research based on the local conditions and whether or not people will pay the amount you are asking for a package with x amount of images cd etc etc.

Assuming you're familiar with the tax and business-licensing laws in your region, get that set-up. Draft up contracts and model releases and have them reviewed by a qualified attorney. GET. INSURANCE.

Now, sit down determine your costs. Factor in such things as transportation (Maintenance, insurance, fuel, depreciation), advertising, website, insurance, gear-upgrades and acquisition, cell-phone bills, computer & software upgrades, etc. Figure out what your mark-up will be on prints (I like 40%; it's a nice, round number) and then slap that all into a business plan.

With respect to your deliverables, I would suggest that if someone pays for five images, than that is all they should get. Do not give them more; if they want additional images, they can pay for you to process them. Giving out a disc-full of images is a good way to ensure NO print sales IMO.

As far as actual costs, that's really difficult to answer; $75/hr seems fine, BUT what are the typical rates in your area for comparable work? If everyone else is charging $50/hr, you might not get much work.

Have you looked into second-shooting for anyone in the area? It might no be a paid job, but it could be invaluable experience....

One thing I would do (besides what 2 wheel mentioned) is to pull up all of the businesses in your area and see what they are charging. That will give you a ballpark figure of what your area can handle. And then you need to look into how much it is costing you to do a photo shoot and editing, and proofing and meeting with your clients etc. Then you can really find out how much you need to charge to actually make money.

High quality photography is a luxury item. Sell it like the luxury item it is, not as a commodity.

The term commodity is used to describe a class of goods for which there is demand, but goods which are supplied without any qualitative differentiation. (The commodity mindset - My photos are just like everybody else's photos, and are nothing special.)

100 photos is a lot for a 1 hr session. People get overwhelmed with to many to choose from and tend to get frustrated and not choose any. (100 photos an hour is a shot every 90 seconds.)
My contract said I would provided 20 fully edited proofs for each hour of shooting. I always provided a few more, usually 25-30 - Under promise, over deliver.

There is no such thing as an unprocessed JPEG, and none of my retail clients ever saw an unedited, unretouched image.

If you have had business experience then you know that any prints you provide cost quite a bit more than what the paper and ink cost.

So since you figure a 1 hour shoot will require 3 hours of your time, your base fee will be $225? If not, at $75 for a 1 hour shoot you are only earning $25 an hour for your time.
I doubt a separate editing fee will work very well.

Why provide a retail client a TIFF file? Most don't know how to handle a JPEG file. What happens when the customer you gave 3:2 aspect ratio JPEGs/TIFFs gets them printed at Walgreens as a 7:5 or a 5:4 aspect ratio print, and part of the original gets cut off?
You should be selling your print making expertise. Your knowledge of print types, print papers, print products, bit-depth, color spaces, color profiles, color models, aspect ratios, mounting methods, framing, etc.

The bottom line is you have just 2 things you can sell: Your time, and your photographs.

I recommend any retail photography business, full or part time, strive for a minimum average sale of $1000.

Last edited:
Hey, Danny.

You'll hear a lot of emphatic advice about the legal and business stuff. I wouldn't say it's time for all that just yet. This will all matter more if you see you'll be doing a substantial amount of work on a regular basis. For the record, I don't employ an accountant and my municipality requires no business license. As for a business plan, I think shooting a few jobs to see how it goes is good enough for right now. And, if your state doesn't require you collect sales tax and you don't have employees, you won't need a tax ID number; your social will do just fine for now. Insurance is always a good idea in case someone trips over you case and gets hurt.

As for pricing, quoting a rate per hour might not be the way to go. It's good to calculate your prices that way, but consider presenting it differently... a cost per job/image might work better. Most clients won't know the time required to produce their work.

I do not offer files, but realize it's very popular and hard to avoid. I like your thinking about providing a few finished files, but wonder about turning over scores of files not completely ready for printing.

So for example, if you want to shoot family portraits, YOU decide the typical time needed for shooting and processing. Add any expenses you expect to incur. So if your travel and shoot takes 3 hours @ $75, and your processing takes 2 hours @ $50, add $25 or so for incidentals (CDs, envelopes, etc.), you can quote your family portraits start at $350 and includes a CD of five files ready for printing.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

You are definitely low for that area. Check out this cost analysis and it will help you. I suggest you set the prices based on your expenses and business plan (use the link to help also) then offer discounts to get into the market. That way, your clients won't be shocked when you charge you regular pricing.

NPPA: Cost of Doing Business Calculator

Hey, Danny.

You'll hear a lot of emphatic advice about the legal and business stuff. I wouldn't say it's time for all that just yet. This will all matter more if you see you'll be doing a substantial amount of work on a regular basis. For the record, I don't employ an accountant and my municipality requires no business license. As for a business plan, I think shooting a few jobs to see how it goes is good enough for right now. And, if your state doesn't require you collect sales tax and you don't have employees, you won't need a tax ID number; your social will do just fine for now. Insurance is always a good idea in case someone trips over you case and gets hurt.

As for pricing, quoting a rate per hour might not be the way to go. It's good to calculate your prices that way, but consider presenting it differently... a cost per job/image might work better. Most clients won't know the time required to produce their work.

I do not offer files, but realize it's very popular and hard to avoid. I like your thinking about providing a few finished files, but wonder about turning over scores of files not completely ready for printing.

So for example, if you want to shoot family portraits, YOU decide the typical time needed for shooting and processing. Add any expenses you expect to incur. So if your travel and shoot takes 3 hours @ $75, and your processing takes 2 hours @ $50, add $25 or so for incidentals (CDs, envelopes, etc.), you can quote your family portraits start at $350 and includes a CD of five files ready for printing.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

He is in NJ like me so yes, he does have to be registered, sales tax, etc... You cannot get business liability and equipment insurance without being registered. Your homeowners and any personal policies are null and void in NJ if you are charging for services.

You are definitely low for that area. Check out this cost analysis and it will help you. I suggest you set the prices based on your expenses and business plan (use the link to help also) then offer discounts to get into the market. That way, your clients won't be shocked when you charge you regular pricing.

NPPA: Cost of Doing Business Calculator

Hi Christina,

I'm not just considering if it's low for this area. I'm also taking into consideration my experience; probably moreso. I want to be upfront with clients about that. Of course, I would present a portfolio to show that I can do what they ask, but I would be upfront about my experience. I really believe that honesty builds trust which would lead to referrals, etc... (that and great results). Maybe this is naive, but I believe it.

Thanks for the response!

Danny

Hey, Danny.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

He is in NJ like me so yes, he does have to be registered, sales tax, etc... You cannot get business liability and equipment insurance without being registered. Your homeowners and any personal policies are null and void in NJ if you are charging for services.

I would definitely acquire this insurance!

Hey, Danny.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I agree with you that to start off I don't need all the things that have been recommended. Of course, once you have a full fledged business these are valid businesses practices, but for what I want to do right now starting out, I really don't think I need it. I definitely want to pay taxes on whatever money I make, keep track of all possible deductions, get insurance etc..., but my cost of doing business is minimal. I don't have a studio, employees, etc...

I'm really going to research this before I start anything.

Danny

Thanks for all the responses on this question. Greatly appreciated!

Danny

Most reactions

Back