Next upgrade? Canon 5d ii, Canon 7d... or? personal experiences?

jusejuse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I currently have a Canon XTI, which I've had for almost four years now... and I think that it's time to get my photography groove back on. Lol it's been so long.

I'm thinking of getting a Canon 7d, but what I want to know is if in the long run if I'm going to get sick of it quickly and/or if I'm going to want to upgrade it to a Canon 5d or something similar. I just want to stick to a good investment as of a body, and in a timely matter, invest in a couple of great lenses like a 10-22m, and possibly an 85mm. Do you have any other recommendations if I plan on shooting landscapes as well as of people (full shots and just of faces).

Also, would it be worth it to get a 7d with a kit lens for less than $200 dollars more, or put that extra money in a better walk around type lens.

I'm so confused. :(

Or do you have any other recommendations? Both bodies, and lenses.

Thanks all :)

Btw I'm sorry I posted this in the wrong section... I don't know how to move it. :O

dude.. seriously use your money to buy really nicer lenses. No need to upgrade your XTi now especially you are only taking shots of landscapes and people. Keep in mind the 10-22 mm that you want is a crop sensor lens. It wont work with a 5D. It will work with your XTi though.

When faced with a similar choice I went 5DII, and have been really enjoying myself with the body. I do miss the better focusing system of the 7D as it would be close to (or likely better than, I'm not sure) what I am used to with the 1D II, but so far it's been sheer bliss for me with the 5D. I already had an OK complement of L glass, and had gotten far too used to full frame to want to return to a 1.6x crop. I think I would also suggest going for better glass before switching bodies, for obvious reasons, as that was also my personal upgrade path.

Good luck whatever the ultimate choice.

I Have an Xti also,and im saving up for a 5Dii with 24-70mm f2.8. i like having a sensor with an equal size to 35mm film. plus a weather resistant body is what im after as i do some landscapes for personal hobby shot's. my main focus is on portraits,and having used a mkii for a few shoots,i find it perfect for what i want.

i'd say go for it,but upgrading your Glas first might be a good plan.especially if all you shoot is landscapes and portraits.maybe look at getting the 10-22mm and a 50mm f1.4. for the wide angle lens,if you want to save money,and put it towards a bigger camera,i'd maybe suggest getting a sigma 10-22mm,it's half the price,and is just as good as the canon equivalent. with the cost of the 50mm aswell, your talking around $800us for both lenses, the canon wide angle is $770.
Something to certainly think about.but your most likely going to go with what you posted.

but good luck with your choice :)

go play with both. and see if you need full frame. my guess is you don't since you have been shooting cropped, you won't miss it.
as stated before the focusing system is great on the 7D, one of the reasons this will be my wife's upgrade. i'm hoping the 5D mkIII has a similar focusing system for my upgrade.
personally, i'd buy the body, and a different lens than the kit lens with the 7D. i'm obsessed with fast lenses, or at least fixed f-stop throughout. $200 can get you close to a nice fast prime lens. but, that's just me.

Thanks guys. :) I recently heard about the unraveling of a Mark 5d iii, and that makes me want to withhold on getting a camera until I get to see that one. However, I'm probably going to go for the 7d and definitely get a better lens instead including the 10-22 and 50mm. I'm excited!

Most reactions

Back