Nia "photo shoot"

shadowlands

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shot these yesterday. Just wanted to share. Nia was awesome.
DSC_5650_784.JPG
DSC_5666_785.JPG
DSC_5707_786.JPG
DSC_5716_787.JPG
DSC_5752_788.JPG
DSC_5902_789.JPG

I Love the way the depth of field is used in the first to have the face and hands in the same plane of focus. That really jumped out at me.

I'm no portrait photographer but I've been advised never to frame an image cutting through joints so I think a slightly wider framing in No's 3, 4 and 5 to keep the elbows in frame might be better and the toes are clipped in the last (minor points I know ;)) but that apart a very nice set.

She looks a natural in front of the camera I have to say. Minimal make up, lovely, god a lovely smile, yeah, extremely pleasing series of picture there.

I Love the way the depth of field is used in the first to have the face and hands in the same plane of focus. That really jumped out at me.

I'm no portrait photographer but I've been advised never to frame an image cutting through joints so I think a slightly wider framing in No's 3, 4 and 5 to keep the elbows in frame might be better and the toes are clipped in the last (minor points I know ;)) but that apart a very nice set.

She looks a natural in front of the camera I have to say. Minimal make up, lovely, god a lovely smile, yeah, extremely pleasing series of picture there.
Thanks for the tips. I do have the original versions with the entire elbows, I just didn't like the "framing" so it was my decision. But I do get your point for sure. At least I'm not chopping off hands like I use to. Ha!

... I've been advised never to frame an image cutting through joints so I think a slightly wider framing in No's 3, 4 and 5 to keep the elbows in frame might be better
Agree; #5 I don't think is so important given the DoF, but in 3&4, the cropped elbow is visually irritating. Aside from that? Very nice!

Thanks for the tips. I do have the original versions with the entire elbows, I just didn't like the "framing" so it was my decision. But I do get your point for sure. At least I'm not chopping off hands like I use to. Ha!

Yeah, like I said, I'm no portrait tog but on the odd occasion I've ventured into it, these were the tips I was given. I was guilty of chopping off fingers, hands, toes feet too:wink-6::wink-6::wink-6::wink-6:. Keep up the good work.

... I've been advised never to frame an image cutting through joints so I think a slightly wider framing in No's 3, 4 and 5 to keep the elbows in frame might be better
Agree; #5 I don't think is so important given the DoF, but in 3&4, the cropped elbow is visually irritating. Aside from that? Very nice!
Glad I shot Raw. I can make those adjustments soon.

Stop and check the hair every time the subject moves; even for a tousled look there needs to be thought given to how it will look in a photo.

Along with hair, check clothing; notice the folds/wrinkles in the sleeves in the 4th one. That and the plaid/check, make sure the bib and pocket are adjusted to prevent oddly angled lines because plaids/patterns can be tricky.

I like the backgrounds except in the one with her seated that was shot from overhead, things back there to the right are at an odd lean/angle, creating lines that can be visually distracting. (Just because a background is somewhat out of focus, it's still there and is going to be in the picture.)

Depth of field looks too narrow in the last one because her boots, hands, etc. aren't in focus. She wore those cute boots to look good in the pictures, not be out of focus.

#2 is the one I like the best. Had I had the chance to shoot it though I would have moved her a bit left to try to avoid the diagonal railing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back