Nice quality Point and Shoot camera

GooseEgg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This isn't really about photography, but does anyone have any suggestions for a quality point and shoot camera? I'm going skiing over Christmas break, and would like to have a camera to bring on the mountain without wrecking my slr. Somewhere in the price range of $175 or less. Thanks

It's probably out of your budget range but I've heard good things about the Sony Nex 5

Get a Canon D10. Plusses: Pretty rugged, works when cold, waterproof, easy to operate with gloved hands. Excellent picture quality. Minuses: zoom's on the low side (3x), battery's a proprietary design (you really should have two), and it's a bit more bulky than the competitor "tough" cameras. OTOH, somewhat more bulk in gloved hands is good. And when you get off the slopes, you can take it to the beach, under water, in the rain, etc.

I have a small Fujifilm F20 that I take caving. It does well in a very rough environment although I do carry it in a small Pelican box. It takes good quality pictures yet is about the size of a cigarette pack. It handles short-medium distance shots well and does an very well on macros. The battery is built in but lasts a long time.

Oh, here is my thread for sure...Canon Powershot A3000IS...10mp...not too much information for the little sensor like some of these 14mp dumps...$130

nearly every camera on the market today is better than 75% of cameras 10 years ago. that's how much digital photography has advanced in a decade

canon G series are really good but a bit bulky. for compact I've always been a fan of the elph series. they take a beating well. it's what my wife uses and I take when I want a pocket camera instead of my D300

honestly, I would pick out some cameras in your order of preference and visit a store or stores which sells cameras and take the gloves you'll use and see if you can even use each camera model.

Look into the go pro. It takes video, and you can also set it to take pictures every couple seconds. Just mount it to your skiing helmet and take off down the hill.

Within that budget you are able to find waterproof/shockproof/freeze-proof little pocketable cameras. Most with these feature will have a non-protruding 3 to 5 times zoom lens. Do not concern yourself with the differences from 10 to 12 to 14 megapixel, given the size of the sensors in those things, more pixels is not always a good thing.

An example is Fugifilm XP.

I just love the little Lumix cameras. Each of us in our family has one for our pocket.

I have the canon powershot digital elph 12.1 mp, right around 200 or I think maybe a little cheaper. Good camera. I have had bad experiences with Nikon's coolpix lineup.

Thanks for the help everyone! I have been looking up some of the cameras that yall mentioned, and am trying to make a decision. While I was searching the web I saw some good reviews for the Panasonic Lumix FH20. Does anyone have any experience with this particular camera, or even just a Panasonic?

GeorgieGirl, I just reread everything and noticed you mentioned the Lumix. Have you had any problems with yours? is it pretty durable? Thanks

i second the Panasonic Lumix line... really descent cameras for the price. I've had 3 different models, and the Lecia lens on each was fantastic.

if you're looking for a really small, good, low-priced camera, check out the Canon sd780 on amazon. i got a black one refurbished for like $120... and yes- it's as cool, and as small as the reviews say...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back