"Nifty Fifty"

laam999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have owned the canon 50mm f1.8 for about 4 months now, I have always liked the lens and its results but I went out to shoot some portrait style pics of a really close friend, (she is helping my practice). I and SO impressed by the results this time, this lens has always been far greater than my kit lens but I mean today it was seriously perfect, I have been wanting to upgrade my kit lens to the 17-55 f2.8, does anyone know if that is as sharp as the 50mm f1.8 because if it is I think I may start selling myself for it.

Sorry I just had to say how happy I am with this lens today

you can all ignore this now

PS I'll post a pic and 1:1 crop when I have revied them all closley probs about a weeks time

My birthday is friday and that lens is on its way right now from Amazon courtesy of my wonderful wifey. Along with a new camera bag.

The 17-55mm F2.8 would probably be better than the 50mm F1.8. The 50mm F1.8 is a good little lens, especially for the price...but it's still a 'cheap' lens. The 17-55mm is on par with L lenses.

If thats the case Mike I think I will double my of this hobby lol. I have been hating my kit lens and if thats better than the 50mm f1.8 then I think I am going to get it ASAP even if I lack the money.... I'm in Brazil right now and headint to the Amazon for a week like tomorrow, anyone know a camera store in the capital city of the Amazon state? I'll be there for 1 night tomorrow before I head to the rain forrest (hence needing a week to post todays pics)

Ya, I only hear some lenses (17-55 f/2.8) are not "L" lenses, because they are EF-S lenses.

To be fair, I've heard a few bad things about the 17-55mm lens.

The IS isn't very durable...I know several pro shooters who have had the IS crap out on them. It is prone to getting dust inside of it.

It is said to have superb image quality though.

laam,
the 17-55 is superb for its image quality, that and the constant f/2.8 is what sold it for me. The only thing separating this lens from the L series is the build quality, hence reports of dust and IS "crapping out". So far I haven't had roblems with either but i have taken super special care of it and its only been 6 months. Who knows, maybe in the future i'll regret the decision of having bought one but so far i've been very pleased.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back