Night Club photos anybody?

Bram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

Alright so not too long ago my friend asked me if I was able to take photos at the local night club here in town, I said yes ill give it a shot, I got my D7000 (iso100, 1/3 shutter) an SB-600 at 1/4th power (M) and then i'm using my 18-70mm Nikkor lens (3.5-5.6) I know I know it's definitely not the best lens to use but it's the best I got right now unless I use my kit lens.
Now he was saying that some of the photos (when blown up and ready to upload to Facebook) look a bit blurry, now on my LCD they look sharp, even when I zoom in on them.

Anybody have any tips as per settings that I could change, the venue is relatively dark but there's a lot of lights going on and stuff like that. I have no photos of the venue to upload at the moment, just curious if anybody had any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming you used a tripod for this, correct? When you say that the photos look sharp on your LCD, are you referring to a computer monitor or the LCD screen on the back of the camera?

Are these like, architectural shots of the club itself? Or shots of people in the club?

Also, you can't really trust what you see on the camera LCD. It's there for reference, and not critical analysis...

Also what aperture were you shooting at?

You're only using one SB600? Maybe he thinks much of the scene is blurred. Perhaps bump the ISO and shutter a bit for the "ambient lit" areas, compensate for the bump on your speedlight setting..

You need to post some pictures so we can see them. If you were doing this with the set up you described I would not be surprised if some were a bit blurry. They might still be pretty decent though but we wont know until you post them.

Also your facebook link does not work either.

These are photos taken of people at the night club having a good time. They are most often than not intoxicated so they move as well, which makes it harder, i've been doing it for a few weekends now and definitely improving. I mean the LCD screen on the camera.
@2wheelphoto: How does bumping the iso to around 200 sound? too low? but if i boost the iso and up the shutter speed to like 1/6 ill have to have the sb600 at around 1/2

These are photos taken of people at the night club having a good time. They are most often than not intoxicated so they move as well, which makes it harder, i've been doing it for a few weekends now and definitely improving. I mean the LCD screen on the camera.
@2wheelphoto: How does bumping the iso to around 200 sound? too low? but if i boost the iso and up the shutter speed to like 1/6 ill have to have the sb600 at around 1/2

pics?

I usually bump mine to 400-800, sometimes 1600. With the flash you could do 400 easy and drag the shutter a bit to get better background exposure. are you shooting direct with the flash or bouncing it?

I bounce the flash 75% of the time or tilt it slightly, I use rear curtain on my flash as well so the flash goes at the end to capture the lights and stuff.

I bounce the flash 75% of the time or tilt it slightly, I use rear curtain on my flash as well so the flash goes at the end to capture the lights and stuff.

still no pics?

You're trying to shoot moving people at 1/6 sec and you don't know why that would seem blurry? Is that right?
I imagine you're trying to capture the people with the flash and the ambient light at 1/6, but at that ss you're likely going to be catching people movement as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back