night photo help!

cy246

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I got a Panasonic Lumix Fz7 and i am having troubles taking Night photos of cars. They either turn out blury or have all sorts of lines from lights around the area, is there a trick to night photos?

Ps. I heard something about shutter speed and iso?

LOL, pretty much! You may not be able to avoid the lines from lights if the vehicle is moving with the slow shutter speed required for night shots (which is why you need a tripod).

i got a tripod and the pictures still turn out to be dark/ blury even under good light.

Are you touching the camera when it fires...or are you using a remote or the self timer? Any movement by the camera can cause blur with the longer shutter speeds that are required for night photography.

Also, make sure to use a low ISO. Your camera may be automatically using a higher ISO, which can make for a lot of digital noise, especially in a camera like that.

Another thing...it may help if you can adjust your exposure. In a night scene, you may want to dial in some negative exposure compensation (EC or EV).

It's the sensitivity/gain setting on the camera. I can almost guaranty that the camera's manual will explain how to change it, if you can.

ISO is a unit of film/sensor sensitivity. Low ISO – say, 100 – gives fine grain, requires longer shutter speeds. High ISO – say, 800 – gives coarse grain and 'noise', shortens required shutter speeds.

For how to change it see page 77 in your manual.

oh ok thanks, what iso do you recommend me to set it on, for night photos and Underground photos. (taking pictures of cars)

ISO 1600 or 3200. But your camera is not capable of those settings.

which one do you recommend that my camera is capable of haha.

None for night photos. Your camera cannot do night photos.

If you insist on making night photos, yes.

Most reactions

Back