Night Shots of my 97 M3

NickButler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
UPDATE - New Pictures on page 2.

I haven't gotten to practice my night shots all that much... so I decided to go and take some after a wash.

Im having trouble getting any detail when shooting such a dark subject. Black cars are just so black... :er:

I would like to hear what you think. Tips, Tricks and pointers are alway appreciated.
:mrgreen:

3059080457_17d318836d.jpg

3059050469_f9d7cd32b5.jpg

3059043319_15bf3f5505.jpg

3059869722_e3eb1b7657.jpg

3059895104_6b3d912e39.jpg

Enjoy.

Last edited:
nice work, car shoots are hard so good job

first and last shots are my favourite.
the only thing i would say is that perhaps the black on black is a little hard to look at.
Perhaps if you had found a neon sign and parked under that?
cool car

very nice shots!

Have you done any HDR work? I think these would be perfect if they were HDR esp. the last one since ive seen many like it. Nice ride and shots though!

Not to be harsh, but I don't think these are very good at all.

There are WAY too many highlights on a dark car against a black background.

sick car. love BmWs....black cars are hard to shoot, at night it's even harder. I would take it to a better lit area to shoot and maybe get a CP to knock down the glares

Nick i suggest you bump up your shutter time. Try 10 seconds or better. Im a huge Bimmer fan and your M3 is sick. You have to try this again so we can see your car better...

nice work, car shoots are hard so good job
Thank you.

first and last shots are my favourite.
the only thing i would say is that perhaps the black on black is a little hard to look at.
Perhaps if you had found a neon sign and parked under that?
cool car
I do know of few places where I could park near/under a neon sign... I'll post the pictures when ever I take them.

very nice shots!
:heart:

Have you done any HDR work? I think these would be perfect if they were HDR esp. the last one since ive seen many like it. Nice ride and shots though!
I have yet to work with any thing HDR... :(

Thanks
:thumbup:
:thumbup:

sick car. love BmWs....black cars are hard to shoot, at night it's even harder. I would take it to a better lit area to shoot and maybe get a CP to knock down the glares

Thanks, Im glad you like the car. Cars, BMWs in particular, are my real passion. Ive had BMWs for years, but im just starting to get into photography. Im seriously considering some external lighting setups and Ive been looking at getting the Canon 55-250mm Telephoto... :mrgreen:

Nick i suggest you bump up your shutter time. Try 10 seconds or better. Im a huge Bimmer fan and your M3 is sick. You have to try this again so we can see your car better...

Thanks dude! I'll take some more day shots as soon as I can. If I get anything worthy.. I'll post it up for sure. :wink:

Not to be harsh, but I don't think these are very good at all.

There are WAY too many highlights on a dark car against a black background.
Its ok to be harsh as long as you can give me some more direction to avoid what Ive been doing wrong...

Ive been waiting to go take some photos at dusk/just before sunset, but the weather has been really bad. I Shooting at night with a black car is annoying. :er:
Day shots coming soon!

The ratio between the bright lights in the bkgnd and above and the car is too great compared to the light on the car, find a place to park where what's in the scope of the lens looks dark like the car does. Do a long enough exposure w/ a tripod and it'll look balanced.

Don't mess with neon and a black car unless you can also shine some
Diffused light onto the car. But you can use just the reflections of the
Neon onto the car!

Try this :

Find a wall that has a texture you like park in front of it almost parallel to the wall. Rig a bright (large mag, or better a mill cndle per) flashlight to shine through a large thin plastic ball that's of a color you like (from the ball bin at walmart) make sure there is at least few inches so the light don't melt the ball. Place the ball between the car and wall so it's hidden from the other side of the car.

So now the wall behind the car has good color faint spread of light on it
Go on the other side of the car and choose a level that the lights shines around the car like a halo-

Expirament until the car comes out just a little less bright then the wall

Just add some diffusing material in front of light if the wall is waay too bright

Try starting at around F4 for like a 10 second exposure
And use the shutter speed to control the ambient light and the F-stop to control the wall brightness. Don't like manual mode, then use AV and play with diffusing the
ball until it's right.(note: you might hardly notice the colored light on the wall, but under a long exposure it'll show up trust me )

Last edited:
The ratio between the bright lights in the bkgnd and above and the car is too great compared to the light on the car, find a place to park where what's in the scope of the lens looks dark like the car does. Do a long enough exposure w/ a tripod and it'll look balanced.

Don't mess with neon and a black car unless you can also shine some
Diffused light onto the car. But you can use just the reflections of the
Neon onto the car!

Try this :

Find a wall that has a texture you like park in front of it almost parallel to the wall. Rig a bright (large mag, or better a mill cndle per) flashlight to shine through a large thin plastic ball that's of a color you like (from the ball bin at walmart) make sure there is at least few inches so the light don't melt the ball. Place the ball between the car and wall so it's hidden from the other side of the car.

So now the wall behind the car has good color faint spread of light on it
Go on the other side of the car and choose a level that the lights shines around the car like a halo-

Expirament until the car comes out just a little less bright then the wall

Just add some diffusing material in front of light if the wall is waay too bright

Try starting at around F4 for like a 10 second exposure
And use the shutter speed to control the ambient light and the F-stop to control the wall brightness. Don't like manual mode, then use AV and play with diffusing the
ball until it's right.(note: you might hardly notice the colored light on the wall, but under a long exposure it'll show up trust me )

Awesome thank you so much! Im going to go practice this very soon.. :thumbup::thumbup:

Most reactions

Back