Any tips on photos of black objects? Never quite right to me.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by vigilante, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dave Colangelo

Dave Colangelo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It might be time for you to look into getting a studio strobe there are lots of options out there but this will give you much finer control over the light at a relatively cheap price point. A soft box would do you quite nicely as well.

2+ seconds is quite an exposure time when you have control over the lights.

One cheap and easy light solution I have used in the past for video work is common industrial halogen setups they are cheap and can be had locally in a pinch.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    There's no issue on non-moving subjects with ISO 100 at f/16 and 2 to 6-second exposures...that's fairly normal with "average" constantly-on lights of the type you have...pigtail type fluoros! As far as it goes, manufacturers' statements about flourescent light bulb output levels are often pie in the sky optimistic.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. PolkaDoz

PolkaDoz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    100%. When it comes to taking pictures of dark especially black objects, you must take in consideration the shadows and even more importantly, how light would be reflected off of a black object. Then you make the proper adjustments.

4. mrca

mrca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I recently read an interesting description of black and white photography: it is 1 white, 255, one pure black at 1 and 254 grays. I like the idea of introducing a highlight. A specular highlight edge transition can be slow or fast, just like a shadow edge transition. The specular highlight transition tells the brain the surface texture of an object. Example: small flash light shining on a black car from a foot away, the specular is instant highlight edge transitions to black and says is is shiny. Flash light shining on a piece of black suede has a slow specular edge transition telling the brain it is textured.