What's new

Nightclub photography

I'm looking at the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF - good choice yes?


Sorry about triple posts.
 
I'm looking at the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF - good choice yes?


Sorry about triple posts.

I would think that at a club 50mm might be a bit on the long side if you are shooting from within the action. A Tamron 17-50 2.8 would be a flexible choice. larger 2.8 aperture to help isolate the subjects. I am guessing around f/4 might be ideal, but it depends on where you are standing in relation to the action and what focal length you are at. May not be needed though. I would try with your 18-55 and take it from there.



Some of this may have been mentioned already:
  • Set the flash to slow-rear sync.
  • Manual mode, aperture to f/5.6
  • shutter at 1/30, dial shutter speed up or down to get the effect you're after.
  • ISO 400-800. Higher ISO will let in more ambient, but may not be needed with shutter speeds at 1/30 or below.
  • Track with the moving subjects, panning with them as the exposure is taking place. This will take some practice, so I would do a combination of that and standing still shots.
  • As mentioned, you may want to dial in neg flash compensation, you can do that right on the speedlight.
Nikon lens naming convention: Nikon Lens Naming Convention
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom