lucadiana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lucadiana.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,
not sure if this is the right place but I couldn't find one dedicated to software only. Google has recently purchased Nik Software and they have slashed the prices down to $149 for the entire collection from $149-$200 for a single title (I had purchased Nik Silver EFEX Pro 2 for a lot more myself). On top of that I have a coupon code for an additional 15% off on my blog (but valid only until March 31st).

This is the new addres for Nik
Nik Collection

Does anyone actually use Nik software? I had a ton of it come with the purchase of my camera, and I've never used it a day in my life. I thought most people just toss it and forget it's there :lol:

Seriously? I know many professional photographers who do. After buying Silver Efex Pro 2 I started playing with old photos that I never particularly liked. This one for example paid for the software and then some:

$Teton_BW.jpg

I use Nik products as well as OnOne and Topaz labs.

Nik's Dynamic Skin Softener is a great retouching tool and I like the Vignette Blur, but most of the other things in my Color Efex I rarely use. I spend most of my editing and manipulation time in Topaz. I downloaded their trial suite and can't seem to open it without issues. There's only so much my Dell can take, I guess.

Does anyone actually use Nik software? I had a ton of it come with the purchase of my camera, and I've never used it a day in my life. I thought most people just toss it and forget it's there :lol:

It came with something I have to, but I don't remember what. All I remember is that it wasn't a demo but a fully-registered version. It didn't look very useful to me either so I never even installed it.

I guess judging a software by its look is what makes a great photographer then. Personally I cannot think of anything better than Silver Efex for B&W editing.

I guess judging a software by its look is what makes a great photographer then. Personally I cannot think of anything better than Silver Efex for B&W editing.
If I ever converted anything to B&W that might have some meaning, but I don't so it doesn't.

There is at least one regular photo poster here who uses some of the Nik tools, and does good work with them. Hint--it is not 'me' either! I think they have some nifty stuff, but the pre-Google prices always seemed very high to me. But then...I'm not into heavily manipulating images on a regular basis. Too old-fashioned I suppose...

There is at least one regular photo poster here who uses some of the Nik tools, and does good work with them. Hint--it is not 'me' either! I think they have some nifty stuff, but the pre-Google prices always seemed very high to me. But then...I'm not into heavily manipulating images on a regular basis. Too old-fashioned I suppose...

Whoever it is sound like he is a really swell fella....

This might help some of you who are kicking around the idea of buying this. I see some things that aren't entirely accurate in this thread. Some people speaking without first hand experience with the products, it seems.

I'll share my workflow that involves these plug-ins to shed light on how I use them:

From other thread on same topic:

[*]I take 16 bit TIF's from Lightroom 4 and export them to Photoshop CS5. Remember, LR is non-destructive to RAW files, so the original RAW file is NEVER (and SHOULD NEVER) be modified.
[*]In CS5, each adjustment I make (whether it's in Silver Efex, Color Efex, Viveza, Dfine, etc) gets created on a new layer. In other words, it is not destructing the base layer, nor is it destructing the RAW file in anyway.
[*]Each adjustment creates a new layer
[*]Save the PSD file. It's a big file. But at any time you can go back to any layer. Suppose you went amiss somewhere in your processing, just go back to that layer. It is completely "non-destructive".

Does it take a lot of hard drive space to do it this way? You betcha.

Nik boasts the premiere localized adjustment software. I use it all the time, mainly for landscapes & BW conversions. Silver Efex is one of the best BW conversion tools available. Viveza and color efex have a multitude of options for localized and global adjustments that are valuable to my workflow.

I'm not sure why editing has to be considered "heavily manipulating" - As if a JPEG or even a RAW file is not already "manipulated." I find it amusing when people who shot digital tell me they never retouch their images and they are proud of it as if Canon, Sony, Nikon, Adobe, etc. haven't already done the editing

I have wrote an article for my blog on the topic not long ago:
To Edit or Not to Edit…

This is my first post.

I have a problem with Viveza 2 and Lightroom.

Here's the issue: the colours that Nik Viveza 2 software displays on screen are totally different from the ones Lightroom displays on the same screen. And the curious thing is that if i save the Nik Viveza 2 picture as a TIFF and send it back o Lightroom, it displays back in the exactly same way as the original again!

I think, but I am not sure, that the problem is how Nik (Viveza 2) displays the image on screen, not the information in the file itself.

I hope someone has had the same problem and could help me. The same problem happens with Nik Dfine 2.

Thank you

This is my first post.

I have a problem with Viveza 2 and Lightroom.

Here's the issue: the colours that Nik Viveza 2 software displays on screen are totally different from the ones Lightroom displays on the same screen. And the curious thing is that if i save the Nik Viveza 2 picture as a TIFF and send it back o Lightroom, it displays back in the exactly same way as the original again!

I think, but I am not sure, that the problem is how Nik (Viveza 2) displays the image on screen, not the information in the file itself.

I hope someone has had the same problem and could help me. The same problem happens with Nik Dfine 2.

Thank you

...you can't have a first post,twice!!It upsets the natural balance of our universe. :eek:ldman::razz::scratch:

Most reactions

Back