What's new

Nikkor 12-24 f2.8 Vs. Nikkor 17-35 F2.8

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
9,331
Reaction score
2,724
Location
San Jose, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which one is better? I understand no filters for the 14-24 f2.8 and the 17-35 uses the same 77mm filter as my 24-70/70-200. Seems to me that the 14-24 would 'fit' right in with the other 2 lenses but I hear very good things about the 17-35.

From those that have used one or the other...or both, please edumacate me!


EDIT: EGADS, I meant 14-24 f2.8!!! [bangs head on desk]
 
Last edited:
NoOne?

I found a 17-35 locally for just over 1K.
 
Aww come on, help me decide! I can grab the 17-35 for $1K today or the 14-24 for under $1500.
 
The 14-24mm is priced as it is for a reason. :biggrin: I also have the 12-24mm f/4. Both are good, but I can't say enough about the 14-24mm.

The 17-35mm is a DX lens. I've never had the opportunity to use.

Go with your budget and intended future use.
 
According to many folks, the 14-24 nikkor is optically the best of the best when it comes to wide zooms. The 17-35 is last generation but has a solid world class reputation. It built it's reputation on solidity and performance. 14-24 is hind of a specialist lens while the 17-35 is more a generalist. What is more important to you: 14mm end or the 35mm end of the range. I'd likely go for the 17-35 for the build, the performance and the utility, especially with the 77mm filter thread.

Tough decision!
 
It is. I don't care too much about the 35mm end because I'll probably have the 24-70 on the body most of the time but once on I might find that larger range usable...The deal is very enticing at $1K with all packaging but that 14mm is calling me....arrggh!
 
Got it. Looks good, sounds good, works good. I gotta quit buying lenses man :er:
 
I had a chance to shoot with the 14-24mm a couple time and let me tell you this, that lens is in a class of it's own. Incredibly sharp and amazing distortion control. Contrast is very pleasing as well. I honestly don't see how they could possibly make it better. Regardless of zoom/prime, this is hands down the very best ultra wide on the market right now. Even Canon user buys adapter to shoot with this lens. It's just that good.

As for the 17-35mm, it's an old generation lens. Still a great performer but not up to par with the current pro grade lens. If you want to use filters, great optical performance and a good price, I recommend checking out the 16-35/4. Hope this help.

Shaun
 
Yeah, the option to use a CPL or ND filter was the deciding factor and I purchased the 17-35. It's got a wide enough FOV for my purposes and I got it for less that 1K :D
 
Great deal, those are the reasons I went with the 16-35 vr.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom