Nikkor 14-24 2.8 alternatives. Landscape lens

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by zulu42, Feb 20, 2018.

1. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Popular Photography. Man...I haven't heard that name in a while. I used to buy their magazines. Haha.

2. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Shoot. That 18-35 G is really affordable compared to the others in contention. It would leave some room in the budget for a superwide prime like Jon's 15.

You guys are super helpful, but the decision isn't getting any easier lol

• Like Like x 2
  3. nerwin

As they say, It's only money!! :1219:

4. Upadhyay

Upadhyay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Before making a decision do consider the fact that this lens cannot take the regular screw type filters you will have to invest in 150mm filters and specialized filter assembly which is very expensive.

You may also look at Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G, not in the same league or focal range but this is a great value for money.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zulu42

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you again everyone for your help. I started looking real hard at the 18-35. With the reported image quality of that lens, I was willing to give up the vr, speed and focal range. Priced at $749 new at Adorama, I found an ebay seller advertising new USA full mfr warranty at buy it now or best offer. He accepted my $575 offer, and the lens has already shipped.

I actually expected to spend twice that amount, so the extra budget gets me a 105 2.8 micro from a forum member, and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a couple filters for the 18-35.

@Upadhyay , thanks for your input. You have some excellent photos on your facebook page!

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. zulu42

Photos OK to edit
    I wish I could come up with the right search terms to find some filter discussion threads. I'm looking at a cpl and 6 stop nd from a company called Breakthrough Photography that I found on Amazon. I want high quality filters for this lens because the 77mm size I think will be useful on other lenses in the future.

Those two filters in my Amazon cart are $322, and I would prefer to spend less, obviously.
    Any suggestions on filters, or if you know where I can find a good TPF thread discussing filters, thank you :)

7. nerwin

B+W makes fantastic filters and LEE filters are awesome if you want to go the filter and holder route. Which for landscapes, I recommend because you get gradient filters so you can really fine tune your shot.

I'll be honest though, I don't even use filters. But I'll soon be investing in a nice LEE filter setup for my 20mm.

But for circular filters, I've owned a few B+W filters and they are fantastic. Awesome quality, I mean come on...they are made in Germany!

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    With the 105/2.8 VR Micro~NIKKOR, you'll get a more-or-less lifetime (well, 20 to 30-years of use), solidly built, medium-length tele-macro lens with uber-high color saturation, Vibration Reduction, a high degree of microcontrast, and you have a pretty useful lens for a lot of selective angle of view stuff, be it landscape, scenic, portraiture, detail shots of all types,etc,.etc.. Sounds like a win-win kind of deal. PLUS, you will not have to pack around a pretty heavy wide zoom with f/2.8 max aperture when it's going to be shot at the smaller f/stops probably 90% of the time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. zulu42

Photos OK to edit
    Those Lee sets are pretty awesome. I'll stick with screw ons for ease of use at this point.
    You guys think those b&w filters are acceptable quality? I'll pay up on these filters as necessary, but if a $79 filter will give virtually the same image as a $179 filter...

10. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    So I used a $40 10-stop ND filter on a few of the shots above. Does it color cast and vignette? Hell yeah. Does it take me longer than 3 minutes to fix those things in LR? Nope.

I’d probably spend more next time (A Lee Kit is in my GAS list), but I wouldn’t be scared of the cheaper options.

11. zulu42

Photos OK to edit
    I went with a B+W XS Pro CPL and a B+W 106M 6 stop ND. Hopefully those will be a step up from the super cheap.
    Not sure where the line is between "bad", "good" filters and "Boutique" filters.

12. Upadhyay

Upadhyay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

You are welcome and thank you for the compliment.