Nikkor 18-105 apature control

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been researching kit lenses (Nikon) to go with a D-90. The 18-105 zoom has good reviews but I notice it doesn't seem to have an apature control ring on the lens. If that's true, how would one shoot in manual mode? Can the apature be controlled from the camera body? I've been through a bunch of D-90 tutorials and get confused between auto and manual control. Can somebody talk me through this? I haven't bought anything yet and have been photographing for years in film and am a complete dummy about digital, so I'm having to relearn how the gear works.
As usual, many thanks for your patience. Tom Beard

I am not a Nikon guy ... so I will make this guess ...

Aperture = front dial (on grip)
Shutter Speed = rear dial (where your thumb is)

Your camera controls the aperture, much like most newer lenses Nikon is making.

As mentioned above, shutter speed is the rear command dial and aperture is the front one however this can be reversed is you'd like within the camera settings.

Here's another review for you by Thom Hogan.

Most of the modern zooms and some primes (my 105mm for instance ) is without the apeture ring. It's all controlled on the front dial of your camera. If you're in Manual or Apeture Priority shooting mode, you turn the little wheel to your desired apeture.

Tom, this is a great question if you are coming from an all-manual film camera and are used to controlling the aperture on the lens.

Recent Nikon cameras (whether film or digital) allow you to control the aperture electronically from the camera. Many recent lenses with an aperture ring therefore have a switch that locks them into place at the widest aperture and the camera takes control from there. Some of Nikon's most recent lenses (which have a "G" in the name like the one you mentioned) have the aperture ring removed all together. With these lenses, the only way to control the aperture is electronically through the camera - this is not a bad thing at all. Once you see how easy and convenient it is, you won't miss the aperture ring.

When you look at the D-90 you'll notice there are two dials (which nikon calls the command dial and the sub command dial I believe.) As mentioned above, one is located on the back where your right thumb can wind it and the other is located on the front where your index finger can wind it. When you are shooting in manual mode, these two dials control your shutter speed and your aperture. This works out really well. As you shoot, your left hand can control zooming and manual focus (if you want) on the lens while your right hand can adjust your exposure.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was a joke at first...

Show's how much of a noob I am. When didn't cameras have aperture control? Just curious.

As a side note to this thread, do non-G lenses (like this one I'm looking at) allow you to use the ring to control appeture? I'd love to be able to use my command dial (the D60 only has one) to control the shutter and the ring to control appeture. Will this work?

sorry about the sorta-threadjack.

When didn't cameras have aperture control? Just curious.
I am assuming you mean ... When didn't lenses have an aperture control ring ?

Canon really started it with their EOS film camera line (1987) ... this carried on to their digital EOS line.
There were others that also switched to electronically controlled aperture's through controls on the camera body.

As a side note to this thread, do non-G lenses (like this one I'm looking at) allow you to use the ring to control appeture? I'd love to be able to use my command dial (the D60 only has one) to control the shutter and the ring to control appeture. Will this work?

No, it won't... you'll have to lock the aperture ring and let the camera do the work.

No, it won't... you'll have to lock the aperture ring and let the camera do the work.

:(

Most reactions

Back