mjcmt

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm considering a small compact and light zoom for my Nikon D750.

I have a few of my old manual focus lenses from the 80-90s left I've been using. The 35mm was my favorite lens since the '80s. I'm thinking of getting the 35 f1.8G ED or 28 f1.8G lens to have a small compact take everywhere AF system, unless I can find a good performing small zoom lens.

I'm not a zoom expert, are the 18-35G or 24-85G lenses any good? They would have to perform very well at the extremes to be useful for me.

But the fore mentioned 28 or 35 lenses are really pulling me though.
Truth be told I'm trying to sell my old manual Nikkors to fund a compact modern lens purchase.

Last edited:
The 1990s made 28 mm to 80 mm afd is quite an amazing performer, despite its dreadful plasticy build quality. It has a plastic mount and a wobbly front extension barrel and costs around $35 on the used market. This was Nikon's for film cameras in the 1990s. The G series model is a different optical formula and it's not quite as sharp.

The 24 mm to 85 mm afsg lens with VR was Nikon's kit zoom for the Nikon d600 and for a time was free with the last of the d600 bodies,right before the d610 introduction, and as a result sometimes you will find these being sold at very low prices because the original owners have zero invested in it

I have a few of my old manual focus lenses from the 80-90s left I've been using. I've use a 35mm as my favorite lens since the '80s. Now I'm really thinking of getting the 35 f1.8G ED or 28 f1.8G lens to have a small compact take everywhere AF system.

I'm not a zoom expert, so are the 18-35G or 24-85G lenses any good? They would have to perform very well at the extremes to be useful for me. The fore mentioned 28 or 35 lenses are really pulling me though.

Truth be told I'm trying to sell my old manual Nikkors to fund a compact modern lens purchase.

PM me what you are trying to sell. As far as the lenses you mention here, modern zooms are far better then they were at one point in time. The zooms of old were big, heavy, clunky and none too sharp. I currently use ALL zoom lenses- a 14-28 Nikkor Z, a 24-70 Nikkor Z, a 70-200 EDIF VR F2.8 and a 200-500 F5.6. I also have a 105mm Micro lens, which is the only prime I use with any regularity. So, I think zooms are the way to go. You notice that in the 4 zoom lenses I mentioned, I have EVERY mm between 14mm and 500mm covered. It is much more convenient and the image quality is now as good as most primes (single focal length lenses, like my 105mm). If it were me, I would look at the 24-85mm. A great all-around lens with lots of uses. Good luck with your choices!

Cordially,

Mark

An 18-35 mm lens offers you only wide angle, whereas a 24 to 85 offers you wide angle, normal, and short telephoto lens angles of view.

I have a Nikkor 24-120 F4/G I’d let go for a reasonable price if you’re interested.

I have a few of my old manual focus lenses from the 80-90s left I've been using. I've use a 35mm as my favorite lens since the '80s. Now I'm really thinking of getting the 35 f1.8G ED or 28 f1.8G lens to have a small compact take everywhere AF system.

I'm not a zoom expert, so are the 18-35G or 24-85G lenses any good? They would have to perform very well at the extremes to be useful for me. The fore mentioned 28 or 35 lenses are really pulling me though.

PM me what you are trying to sell. As far as the lenses you mention here, modern zooms are far better then they were at one point in time. The zooms of old were big, heavy, clunky and none too sharp. I currently use ALL zoom lenses- a 14-28 Nikkor Z, a 24-70 Nikkor Z, a 70-200 EDIF VR F2.8 and a 200-500 F5.6. I also have a 105mm Micro lens, which is the only prime I use with any regularity. So, I think zooms are the way to go. You notice that in the 4 zoom lenses I mentioned, I have EVERY mm between 14mm and 500mm covered. It is much more convenient and the image quality is now as good as most primes (single focal length lenses, like my 105mm). If it were me, I would look at the 24-85mm. A great all-around lens with lots of uses. Good luck with your choices!

Cordially,

Mark
I think you have the perfect lens kit for a z system. I've been studying the 24-85 and really wanted to like it, but it seems to not be that good ant 24 or 85 so that limits its usefulness, but I've not actually shot w/ it in real world situation.

I've been studying the 24-85 and really wanted to like it, but it seems to not be that good ant 24 or 85 so that limits its usefulness, but I've not actually shot w/ it in real world situation.
Your source, please?

A couple of years ago I saw a photo how to book by Michael Freeman which was shot extensively with the 24 to 85 mm afs-g VR lens and the Nikon d600 and d610.

There were hundreds of photos made with the 24 to 85 G VR. unless I am mistaken this is the specific lens like I'm designed for the d600, in other words it lens that would perform well on 24 megapixel full frame.

Good photography is very seldom about ultimate sharpness. most zoom lenses are not at their best at their extremes. It has been that way for over 40 years. If you can't make good pictures with this lens, based on what I saw in the Michael Freeman book, then the problem is not with the lens, it is with you.

If you want the ultimate in performance at 24 and 85 mm then you need to spend some serious money and carry a lot more weight. The 85 mm f/1.8 AFS G is incredibly Sharp. I owned the lens for about eight years... Dxo mark testing showed that the lens is among the sharpest lenses available for less than $4,000.

I've been studying the 24-85 and really wanted to like it, but it seems to not be that good ant 24 or 85 so that limits its usefulness, but I've not actually shot w/ it in real world situation.
Your source, please?
Online and YouTube
Whatever shortcomings that lens may have that were discovered by the online and YouTube reviewers may be negligible in actual use.

Last edited:
the 18-35 is sharp as heck

lol lol

Crazy lwwo I weI
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your source, please?
Online and YouTube
Whatever shortcomings that lens may have that were discovered by the online and YouTube reviewers may be negligible in actual use.
You never know, that's part of my indecisiveness. I love my 35 and 20 manual focus lenses so I'm looking for a zoom for convenience. 24-85 more versatile, 18-35 my covers my favorite focal lengths. Both compact and light.

Most reactions

Back