bulldurham

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have to give good reviews to this lens. My first impressions were that it was heavy (and it is), and almost impossible to get a decent focus lock on a head on fast mover...it just took some practice, finding the sweet spot and locking focus at 400 and zooming into the 500mm to get the shot.

It is clear and sharp, edge to edge at each incremental point starting at 200mm all the way through 500mm and even at 500mm at 5.6 (wide open) it will hold the the breadth of a full flying Egret or Heron...and that's pretty dang slick. I've only had it a week and still have lots of field testing to do, but at this point I have to call it a keeper!

High-Flyer.jpg

yep, looks like a excellent lens from the hand full of photos i have seen posted with it. great shot, looks like a egrit to me

Very nice

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

yep, looks like a excellent lens from the hand full of photos i have seen posted with it. great shot, looks like a egrit to me
Do the feathers on the bird have details, or can you see only whole feathers?

check out these links, lots of photos taken with the nikon 200-500mm lens. you can check them out and see what you think.

Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thanks, those are all well composed photos, but there is not one crystal clear photo in the bunch Such as this one, it's soft to the point of blurry when you enlarge it. Long Tailed Tit at Marquenterre Is that really a $1500.00 photo?

check out these links, lots of photos taken with the nikon 200-500mm lens. you can check them out and see what you think.

Thanks, those are all well composed photos, but there is not one crystal clear photo in the bunch Such as this one, it's soft to the point of blurry when you enlarge it. Long Tailed Tit at Marquenterre Is that really a $1500.00 photo?

well there is 3 thousand some photos in that group and you are referring to one photo.. some of those photos are excellent and some are not. you got to remember everyone gets subpar shots at times, even the really good photographers but it could have been a bird they have never saw before so they kept the photo or who knows what., also not all people are great at photography or they are just getting started at bird photography and not getting the best photos yet. you could spend 20k lens and still get bad photos if you do not now what you are doing, and even if you do know what you are doing i doubt ever photo you take is going to be perfect. or the bird could have been really far away and they had to crop the photo allot which can kill the image quality.. everyone on here posting photos with that lens seems to be getting some nice photos with it

bottom line is this, if you want to really know how good the lens is, read reviews, lots of them. looks at as many photos taken with the lens as you can. maybe rent one if you are interested but not sure how you will like it. or by it from a place that has a no questions asked return policy and if your not happy with it send it back..

well there is 3 thousand some photos in that group and you are referring to one photo.. some of those photos are excellent and some are not. you got to remember everyone gets subpar shots at times, even the really good photographers but it could have been a bird they have never saw before so they kept the photo or who knows what., also not all people are great at photography or they are just getting started at bird photography and not getting the best photos yet. you could spend 20k lens and still get bad photos if you do not now what you are doing, and even if you do know what you are doing i doubt ever photo you take is going to be perfect. or the bird could have been really far away and they had to crop the photo allot which can kill the image quality.. everyone on here posting photos with that lens seems to be getting some nice photos with it

bottom line is this, if you want to really know how good the lens is, read reviews, lots of them. looks at as many photos taken with the lens as you can. maybe rent one if you are interested but not sure how you will like it. or by it from a place that has a no questions asked return policy and if your not happy with it send it back..
What about this one Harfang des Neiges / Snowy Owl / Bubo scandiacus / Ookpik I am tough, this is true, a bird should not have wings, it should have feathers, that are composed of individual hairs arranged in a pattern. A well composed photo is not necessarily a sharp photo, I need sharper than this to make the lens viable for me to buy. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Also take this duck in flight shot that looks great on one hand, but on a sharper hand the feathers are one piece each, they do not have any parts they have complete smoothness. The color and composure it perfect as is the focus, but there is just absolutely no details Flying Duck

What about this one Harfang des Neiges / Snowy Owl / Bubo scandiacus / Ookpik I am tough, this is true, a bird should not have wings, it should have feathers, that are composed of individual hairs arranged in a pattern. A well composed photo is not necessarily a sharp photo, I need sharper than this to make the lens viable for me to buy. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Also take this duck in flight shot that looks great on one hand, but on a sharper hand the feathers are one piece each, they do not have any parts they have complete smoothness. The color and composure it perfect as is the focus, but there is just absolutely no details Flying Duck

well i will tell you this, that is a low priced wildlife lens. i paid almost twice that much for my lens and there are still much better lenses out there than what i have but they will cost you. unless you have big bucks to spend on the best stuff possible than well i dont know what to tell you besides do your research and keep looking at photos and decide if its good enough for you or not.

if you can afford the sigma 150-600mm sport lens that is another option to look at but well its almost twice as much. you might also look at that and say not enough detail.. i dont know... since i got mine we have had mostly cloudy crappy days that i have been able to get out and shoot on, i am quite happy with the overall preformace of my lens. its not perfect but i dont have 10k or more to spend on a lens

well i will tell you this, that is a low priced wildlife lens. i paid almost twice that much for my lens and there are still much better lenses out there than what i have but they will cost you. unless you have big bucks to spend on the best stuff possible than well i dont know what to tell you besides do your research and keep looking at photos and decide if its good enough for you or not.

if you can afford the sigma 150-600mm sport lens that is another option to look at but well its almost twice as much. you might also look at that and say not enough detail.. i dont know... since i got mine we have had mostly cloudy crappy days that i have been able to get out and shoot on, i am quite happy with the overall preformace of my lens. its not perfect but i dont have 10k or more to spend on a lens
I am now not looking at the 200-500, my next logical choice is the 300mmf4, the first version with the built in hood. I did see one 200-500 that seemed sharp, but when you look at the wings of the duck, and factor in the shutter speed, the wings are unreasonably blurry. I know because I have taken the exact photo with much better clarity. Mallard duck

1/800 on shutter speed i would totally expect some blur. 1/1000 is about the least you want to use for birds in flight or birds in motion like that and i would still expect to get some wing blur.. 1/2000 is actually ideal if your lens can get enough light in.

a 300mm f/4 is a great choice but the only time i find my self at 300mm is when i am really close to something or its a large bird that i can get pretty close too. i think a 500mm is really the least i would want. but that is just me. even at 600mm i still have to crop some shots allot.

1/800 on shutter speed i would totally expect some blur. 1/1000 is about the least you want to use for birds in flight or birds in motion like that and i would still expect to get some wing blur.. 1/2000 is actually ideal if your lens can get enough light in.

a 300mm f/4 is a great choice but the only time i find my self at 300mm is when i am really close to something or its a large bird that i can get pretty close too. i think a 500mm is really the least i would want. but that is just me. even at 600mm i still have to crop some shots allot.
I can take sharper shots that are posted from the 200-500 with my 200mm2.8 and get to 500mm by computer cropping and still be clearer than the 200-500 is on average. This lens does not impress me at all. You just have to look with a critical eye, which first eliminates anything exotic, colorful are very well composed in the image, as you can have all those things and still have a less than clear image. I just don't see that this is a great lens. This is a step up in range for me, which means nothing if I step down in clarity. Thanks for that link though.

Slow internet connection and not letting the image cache can make them look that way. On my internet at home, it can take some time to completely render a lot of those images in the link. I thought the same thing and then one rendered completely right in front of me and BLAM, I was hooked.

Slow internet connection and not letting the image cache can make them look that way. On my internet at home, it can take some time to completely render a lot of those images in the link. I thought the same thing and then one rendered completely right in front of me and BLAM, I was hooked.

Amazing, you are actually blaming the poor quality of this lens on my internet connection. Something of which you do not know anything about. The lens was recalled already, was it recalled because of my internet connection?

Amazing, you are actually blaming the poor quality of this lens on my internet connection. Something of which you do not know anything about. The lens was recalled already, was it recalled because of my internet connection?
Why are you so offended by this lens? If you don't like this lens, don't buy it. Spend 12x the price and get a 600mm f4 with a 1.7TC. As mentioned, this is a budget-friendly long-reach lens. It has a LOT of limitations, BUT, I think it's very good value for the money.

Most reactions

Back