Nikkor 50mm vs 85mm for street portraits

Bullet has been bit.

At lunch I went to purchase the 50mm 1.8G from the local supplier.
Besides the hood seeming strange - doesn't properly clip on in storage mode, like most other hood/lens combinations. I like the look and weight of it.

Can't wait to throw it on my camera this evening and give it a whirl. I hope it's as versatile as I think it'll be.

Made my decision to buy this over the 1.8D was after reviewing images on each flickr pool.

Decided against the 85mm due to on my DX body, it will be about 127, which I don't need.
When I eventually get up to Full Frame, I'll be able to get an 85 as my "new glass" on that.

or ... at least that's my thinking :)

Yeah...good choice...the 50/1.8 G-series is a really nice lens. The hood is kinda' big for a 50...not sure what they were thinking when they designed it, except that some people kind of like that "big glass look", so they went with the 58mm filter thread and the massive clip-on external-mount lens shade.

Well i decided to get the 50mm 1.8G myself, the 1.4G gets poor reviews when they are compared together, and i prefer to not have a paper thin dof if i can help it.

John.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back