Nikon 85mm lens question and advice...

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been watching YouTube videos and reading customer reviews on the Nikon 85mm lens. The 85mm 1.8 G lens is getting the highest customer reviews for optical performance, bokeh, and sharpness.

But the preowned 85mm f/1.4 D version is selling for $200.00 to $250.00 more on Ebay. Why would the older D version be selling for more money, especially if it's not as good? Could there be a conflict of opinion here? Could some people prefer the vintage look of the older D version? I've heard a few people say that the G version is a superior lens, but it feels like a plastic piece of junk when held in your hand. What is your opinion? I'm holding off on buying an 85mm lens for a while.

Thank you,

Lonnie

Mostly opinion, but the ability to control the aperture via the older aperture ring, and also some reports better glass is the core of the arguments.

the Nikon 85mm f1/4D is truly a legend in the annals of portrait history. Nicknamed "the cream machine" back in the day because of how it rendered perfectly creamy background bokeh.
built like a tank, manual aperture lens, faster at 1.4, and pretty much a legend of portrait lenses.

the 1.8G does have some advantages, however... slightly better sharpness wide open, more accurate autofocus, cheaper.
an alternative to consider would be the Tamron 85mm f1.8 Di VC which gets you vibration reduction which the Nikon 1.8G does not have.

the look of the background rendering is unique to each lens and there are plenty of photographers who absolutely swear by the Nikon f1.4D for portraits. alternatively, the Nikon 85mm 1.8D is not a bad lens either and is very solidly built. it was one of my favorite portrait lenses.

the Nikon 85mm f1/4D is truly a legend in the annals of portrait history. Nicknamed "the cream machine" back in the day because of how it rendered perfectly creamy background bokeh.
built like a tank, manual aperture lens, faster at 1.4, and pretty much a legend of portrait lenses.

the 1.8G does have some advantages, however... slightly better sharpness wide open, more accurate autofocus, cheaper.
an alternative to consider would be the Tamron 85mm f1.8 Di VC which gets you vibration reduction which the Nikon 1.8G does not have.

the look of the background rendering is unique to each lens and there are plenty of photographers who absolutely swear by the Nikon f1.4D for portraits. alternatively, the Nikon 85mm 1.8D is not a bad lens either and is very solidly built. it was one of my favorite portrait lenses.
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate hearing your opinion.

Have noticed there are 15 or 16 85mm 1.8 D lenses on Ebay for $225.00 to $265.00 dollars. I am thinking about trying one. How could I go wrong? It is a prime lense for under $300.00 with good customer reviews.

Have noticed there are 15 or 16 85mm 1.8 D lenses on Ebay for $225.00 to $265.00 dollars. I am thinking about trying one. How could I go wrong? It is a prime lense for under $300.00 with good customer reviews.
I think that is a smart move to see if the 85mm suites you. I had the MF Nikkor 85mm f1.4 AIS lens in the '90s of last century, and while it was a great even amazing lens I found I didn't use that focal length much and sold it a year later.
Here's a street photo shot with that lens.
years116.jpg

I think that is a smart move to see if the 85mm suites you. I had the MF Nikkor 85mm f1.4 AIS lens in the '90s of last century, and while it was a great even amazing lens I found I didn't use that focal length much and sold it a year later.
Here's a street photo shot with that lens.
View attachment 205232

Thank you for sharing your experience and opinion with the 85mm f/1.4.

Most reactions

Back