Nikkor 50mm

arian29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Will this lens work with the D3100 > NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D NIKON LENS
> what issues i may face with this lens if i use it with the D3100 ?
> Also what better.. 35mm or 50mm for landscapes an group pics ?
> Also if i have the 18-55 lens, will the 50mm be useful ?

The 50mm 1.8 AF-D does not have a built in focus motor, it relies on the camera's focus motor. The D3100 does not have a focus motor so that lens will have to be focussed manually with your camera. With this in mind the D3100 is not a good camera to manually focus with it's small viewfinder and pentamirror instead of a pentaprism.

You would be better off buying an AFS lens which have built in focus motors. A 50 mm lens will have the field of view of a short telephoto and the 35 mm will have a field of view generally regarded as 'normal' when installed on a D3100. To see which focal length you would prefer use your kit zoom at each of those focal lengths for a while and see which you prefer. The 35mm might be handier for group shots in smaller spaces but not as handy as your well regarded kit lens.

if you have to use it with d3100 then go for 50mm 1.8G which is great

Back when, I had a Nikon D60 which like the D3100 did not have an auto focus motor in it.

I used the AF 50 mm f/1.8D lens on the D60 all the time.

The D means the lens sends distance information to the camera's CPU and auto focus module. With that information the camera (D3100, D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D5000, D5100) will light the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder when focus has been achieved in the selected focus point as you manually turn the focus ring on the lens.

In other words, the only part of the auto focus system that is missing, is a motor to turn the focus ring on the lens.

The D3100 (D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D5000, D5100) has another manual focusing aid. It's called Rangerfinder mode. Look at page 144 in the D3100 user's manual for info about Rangefinder mode and how it can help you manually focus any lens.

The complete D3100 user's manual is on the disc that camera with the camera. Nikon does not include a hardcopy of the complete manual. You can download a copy of the complete user's manual here: Nikon Product Manuals available for download

I'm not sure if your model has face detection like the d90, but is handy when using a tripod. When in live view you manual focus, once the camera "locks" in there will be a square around the face/object. Once locked you can use the digital zoom feature and the camera will zoom in on the "locked" zone no matter where in the frame it is located. Once used to this you can quickly get "lock", zoom into the eyes and adjust slighty so eyes are crisp.

I need to read my manual but I wish I could manual move a anywhere in the frame once zoomed in. That would be sweet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back