What's new

NIKKOR 70-300mm AF LENS for D3100

inditiger

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 9, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Pune, MH, India
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am new to Photography. Waiting for my first SLR. Still confused between D3200 and D5100. But that is not the question here.
While browsing through 2nd hand lenses (budget issues), I came across this ad of NIKKOR 70-300mm lens. Called the guy. He told me that he has the D3100 and the problem is, his camera doesn't have "motor" so he is not able to auto focus.
I really don't know technical things about SLRs and lenses. So can anyone tell me what is the problem here? Why can't the guy auto focus? Will I be able to auto focus with this lens from D3200 or D5100?

The guy said he bought it in January this year and has barely used it. Asking price compared to it is pretty cheap. Could it be that there is some other problem and he is just making up the story? (can't trust anyone these days. can we?)

So anyways, if you have any idea what could this problem be, please let me know...

Thanks!
 
Pre-AI | AI,AI-S,E series are full manual lenses no motor in lens or screw drive for camera with motor to focus the lens. All manual operation.

- mounts,no meter use as Full manual set aperture on lens and shutter on camera. And guessimate the exposure as no metering. And manual focus.

AI-P | AF AF-D | AF-G have a screw drive in the lens that is driven by motor in camera body.
- mounts and meters,no AF so you set/lock aperture at f22 and manually have to focus and will meter scene.

Lenses designated Nikon AF-S, Sigma HSM or Tamron Di2 with built in motor are the only ones that AF because they have motors in the lens. The others above do not. So needing a camera body with built in motor like the D80,D200,D90,D7000,D300,D700,D3.
.
 
I believe both the D5100 and the D3200 do not have a built in focus motor so you're going to need lenses with a focus motor in them to be able to auto focus.
Older versions of the NIKKOR 70-300 do not have such a motor in them so I'm guessing that was the problem. You're going to have the same problem if you get this lens with one of those cameras.
 
If it is NOT the 70-300mm VR version of the lens I would not even consider it!

The OLD 70-300mm lens was known to be a dog of a lens, the latest VR version is a very good lens. I have the 70-300 VR and love it!
 
All of these Nikon DSLR's are compact entry-level Nikon's and don't have an auto focus motor in the camera body - D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100. The non-compact Nikon entry-level cameras - D50, D70, D70x, D80, D90, D7000 - and all other Nikon DSLR's have an auto focus motor and auto focus screw-drive system in the camera body.

Nikon developed the compact entry-level cameras to attract more women DSLR camera buyers.

I really don't know technical things about SLRs and lenses.[/url] Then you will likely, and continually, have mysterious problems/issues crop up you won't be able to resolve.
 
Don't bother getting that kind of lens for your camera. You need AF-S lenses if you want it to auto-focus.
If you're looking for a cheap tele-zoom, look for a 55-200 VR instead.
The 70-300 VR is also a good lens, but the the price goes a up a bit. Personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a lens that slow (f4.5-5.6), but that's just me :)
 
If it is NOT the 70-300mm VR version of the lens I would not even consider it!

The OLD 70-300mm lens was known to be a dog of a lens, the latest VR version is a very good lens. I have the 70-300 VR and love it!

It is a great lens for the price for sure.
 
I have that lens from back in the n80 days. It has to be manually focused on my d5100 and lacks vibration reduction which I think is important in a tele zoom. I find it somewhat hard to focus as the screen on the d5100 isn't so hot for manually focusing. It will work with the electronic rangefinder if you have enough light. I shoot at 1/500 and faster only with it.
 
Thank you guys! Thanks a lot for your replies..!
They improved my knowledge a lot. And now I wanna know some more. I will surely be reading some blogs after these comments.
Please let me know if any of you know good ones.

Thanks again! Your comments really save me some bucks and more importantly, made me hungry for more! :)
 
Don't bother getting that kind of lens for your camera. You need AF-S lenses if you want it to auto-focus.
If you're looking for a cheap tele-zoom, look for a 55-200 VR instead.
The 70-300 VR is also a good lens, but the the price goes a up a bit. Personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a lens that slow (f4.5-5.6), but that's just me :)

Yep if not the 70-300vr than the 55-200vr is an outstanding performer for the price.
And my walkabout choice lens for last couple of years.

There is also the 55-300vr which is about a third lighter and smaller and cheaper than the 70-300vr. And Image IQ is neck to neck.
Tho I like the small,compact light that the 55-200vr gives for walkabout town and fills my zoom needs for the most part.

But for sports and wildlife than the 70-300vr is the way to go.
,
 
Speaking of, I took this yesterday with the 70-300.

jaypan1-1.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom