What's new

Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8

MasonBW

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 25, 2010
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, I'm a pretty basic photographer and I use a nikon d3000. I'm looking at upgrading my prime lens to a nikkor 35mm f/1.8.I was wondering if this lens is a good lens. I've read a lot of positive reviews about it but I'd like to get personal feedback. I shot maily landscapes, some close ups and automobiles. Would this lens get the job done for it's low price? Thanks!
 
While landscapes can be shot with just about any lens, the 35mm on a DX camera isn't really the best focal length for it.

My advice, take a look at the shots that you have taken with your kit lens, look at the focal length that you most often use(or the focal length of your favorite shots), and look to upgrade along that path.

FWIW, a good tripod will, IMO, make a bigger difference in landscape photography that just about any new lens will.
 
Alright thanks but I do like the length of 35mm, I feel that 50 is just too far in. I'd love to see some galleries from any member that uses the nikkor 35mm, thanks!
 
Thanks for the links! Appreciate it. And you mean you got rid of the lens or the chromatic problems?
 
And the auto focus will work properly on a D3000 right?
 
It's decent, I got my hands on one, and it seemed like there was some CA, but not so much that it distorted color. Not the sharpest lens ever, good for the price though.
 
But do like the lens or were you dissappointed with it?
Would you recommend It?
 
Got rid of the lens (me too) because of the chromatic aberration that is designed into the lens. The AF-S 35 mm f/.8G lens is a consumer grade lens.
All lenses have some amount of CA, and lateral CA can be fixed post process.
 
What other type of prime lens thats not extremely expensive would you recommend then?
 
What other type of prime lens thats not extremely expensive would you recommend then?

Your best bet is to go to your local camera store and get your hands on as many lenses as you can -just take some shots inside the store, see how you like it. I frequently go into my camera shop and bother...er.. ask to try lenses - anywhere from 200 dollar lenses like this to 2000 dollar lenses; the reason for this is that you will learn pretty quickly what lenses do what, the quality of different priceranges (as keith would say, consumer, prosumer, or professional), and what you want to get.
 
I think the 35 1.8 is getting a bit of a bad rap here in some respects. Admittedly it has CA, but it has many more Pros than cons in my mind. Specially the fact it is so cheap, the price/performance ratio is stunning and that is why the lens has sold in the bucketloads.

If you are a basic photographer, the 35 1.8 will serve you extremely well. I'm not sure about the comment saying 'it is not the sharpest lens ever', if there is one thing the lens is rated highly for it's sharpness. It is meant to be sharp from wide open which is actually fairly unusual for many fast prime lenses, photozone.de backs this up and it is very reliable source of information. Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom