Nikkor af-s 70-200mm f/2.8g ed vr ii lense

farsy2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a d7000 and I'm planning to buy this (70-200 mm f/2.8 g) lense my question is whether how well it works with my camera. Does it justify the cost of this lense and the last question is whether there is a cheaper ( price wise) alternative.

only order that lens if a second best lens won't do for you. Because its the best.

it worked great on my D7000, and works great on my D700 now =)

The VRII is an excellent piece of glass. The question(s) you need to ask yourself, do you need VR, can you settle for not as fast focus, are you a weight weenie, do you plan on switching to FX later?

If VR is NOT needed, weight weenie, and can settle for decent focusing speed, I'd recommend the Nikon 80-200 2.8D 2 ring version
If VR is NOT needed, budget is under 1k and will move to FX later, then the 80-200D 2.8 2 ring version used
If you need VR and are NOT a weight weenie and will stay with DX, but budgeted for 1400-1500, then the 70-200 VR I
If your budget is limited to 1500 and would move to FX later, then the VR I, but know that you will experience the corners vignette
If money is no object and dont give a rat's arse :) - VRII in a heartbeat

I'm in a similar pickle. I want the 70-200VRii so bad, and I have the funds to cover it - just about.

But I also want to go full frame some time soon, so I'm not sure where to invest... glass, or a new D800 when I can find one in stock :er:

.........But I also want to go full frame some time soon, so I'm not sure where to invest... glass, or a new D800 when I can find one in stock :er:

My vote is glass. Cameras come & go, but good glass has staying power. An FX lens will still perform quite well on a DX body, so when you step up to FX, you'll be comfortable with the lens, plus you're not 'crippling' your D800 by shooting in DX mode all the time.

great lens :thumbup:

If you DON'T plan on upping to FX then holdout for a nice but clean VR1 lens. The DX will make use of the center which in all aspects is as good (or better?) than the VRII and at almost 1/2 the price. Yes, either one is amazing on any Nikon body.

Most reactions

Back