Nikkor DX Micro Lens Question

Veronicaindc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I just purchased an 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro Nikkor Lens for close-up photography. It works very well and makes great quality pictures of small objects and general portraits; however, it always makes depth-of-field image (which I really like) but it has no options to make entire picture in focus. Is it normal?

Thank you!

Macro lenses (when shooting macro) have a very small DOF (Depth of Field).... F16 to F22 is about the smallest aperture you can go with good lighting. Diffraction softness really starts kicking in around F16 to F22... and there is not much you can do about it.

Best way to light macro is diffused flash... and with good use of diffused flash, you can shoot at small apertures and get good sharp images.... but to increase the DOF, sometimes you have to back off a little bit, and not use maximum magnification.

Another thing you can do is Focus Stacking... which is a whole different type of shooting, and requires precision, and special software.

Sounds like you are pretty new to macro... fun, isn't it? :)

You may find this useful: Online Depth of Field Calculator

Hi Charlie. Thank you for your response. You have great pictures. I'll try to use your advice. I'm Veronica in DC. Yes, I'm very new to macro and photography in general... Still learning. Macro lens is really fun! :)

Last edited:
Hi Charlie. Thank you for your response. You have great pictures. I'll try to use your advice. I'm Veronica in DC. Yes, I'm very new to macro and photography in general... Still learning. Macro lens is really fun! :)

Hello Veronica! Thank you! Feel free to ask any questions you want... we all like to help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back