Nikkor Lens's "D" vs "G"

sapper6fd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I have a question about the Nikkor lens versions. There are a number of lens's out there that have a D and a G version. For example - the Nikkor 50mm 1.4G and the Nikkor 50mm 1.4D. I know the G stands for guilded and does not have the fstop ring on the lens like the D seriers does. My questions about these is what bodies do the D series lens's work on? I've been told these D series lenses wont work on my D90. What about a D300s or a D700?

Cheers,

Sapper6fd

The D lenses will work on dSLRs, you just have to place the ring at the smallest aperture (usually f/22). The newer D lenses have a small sliding switch lock, just for this purpose. I use the AF 50mm f/1.8D and the 25mm f/2.8D on my D40.

Getting the G lenses (and it's "Gelded") to work on older cameras is a bigger issue - you have to use P or Shutter Priority mode.

Nothing to do with autofocus. D lenses have an aperture ring which modern Nikons don't use. But they can still control the lens.

Almost every nikkor lens every made will work on almost every body nikon has ever made. When it comes to digital, almost every nikkor(except the few invasive fisheyes and pre AI lens) will mount to eery digital body made.

Now the question is will it autofocus, will it meter?

Your D90 will mount almost every nikkor lens ever made(except the few invasive fisheyes). It will meter and autofocus all AF-d lens up to current G lens. It will not meter old manual focus AI/AIS lens, but they will still mount and shoot in Manual.

I do not like the newer G lens because of the lack of aperture, but more importantly the lack of distance scale on the entry level lens(35mm f1.8G) as it is difficult or near impossible to hyperfocal focus. Which is sad because people new to photography, who are into landscape, will want to learn about hyperfocal focusing and their cheap kit lens will be holding them back.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with autofocus. D lenses have an aperture ring which modern Nikons don't use. But they can still control the lens.

I use mine all the time, especially in in movie mode. Modern nikons use the ring just fine, it's just nikon is trying to make the camera do everything for the consumer.

Getting off topic here, but I believe the original question has been answered well enough. What's the advantage of using the ring when you don't have to?

Getting off topic here, but I believe the original question has been answered well enough. What's the advantage of using the ring when you don't have to?

It's a tool, I like tools to be there when needed. Lets say OP decides to pick up an old nikon FE film camera. Not too many real advantages. I personally like the build quality of older lens.

Almost every nikkor lens every made will work on almost every body nikon has ever made. When it comes to digital, almost every nikkor(except the few invasive fisheyes) will mount to eery digital body made.
Be careful with blanket statements like this, because it's far from the truth. Non-AI nikkor lenses do not mount on many of the new bodies. Mounting a Non-AI lens WILL damage the aperture coupling ring on the camera body!
Here's a decent chart that shows some basic lens fitment:
Compatibility Table

Almost every nikkor lens every made will work on almost every body nikon has ever made. When it comes to digital, almost every nikkor(except the few invasive fisheyes and pre AI) will mount to every digital body made.
Be careful with blanket statements like this, because it's far from the truth. Non-AI nikkor lenses do not mount on many of the new bodies. Mounting a Non-AI lens WILL damage the aperture coupling ring on the camera body!
Here's a decent chart that shows some basic lens fitment:
Compatibility Table

Key word in bold. I would hope an individual thinking about buying an older lens like these would be wise enough to research. A blanket statement would be "All nikkor lens will mount all nikon bodies"

I edited my post to reflect pre AI issues. Thanks for reminding me.

Also my statement holds true after a small modification to a pre AI lens, it will mount safely.

Last edited:

OK, you've got me, snap. Most of the D lenses won't have auto focus, since only few have an AF-S motor built in (the more expensive ones)

One more thing that comes to my mind right now is that that some of the G type lenses might be smaller and lighter, so yeah, that may be an advantage for some people.

Last edited:
Lets look at the AF 80-200 mm f.2.8D ,and the newer, AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8G.

The D lens is 3.4 in x 7.4 in. (Diameter x Length) and weighs 45.9 oz.

The G lens is longer, 3.4 x 8.1 in. (Diameter x Length), and it weighs more 54.3 oz.

The max aperture, focal length, and optics quality pretty much determine both the size and weight of a lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back