Nikkor - S 5.8cm F/1.4 lens repair needed

jtmiv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear Board,

This lens was my Grandfather's. It was purchased in the very early 1960's when he bought a new Nikon F. He had the camera modified later to accept the FTN finder and it was his pride and joy. I inherited the FTN when he passed and a few years ago I had it CLA'ed along with having the light seals and mirror foam replaced. I'd like to keep using the camera.

Outward appearance is typical of a lens that was used though the 60's and 70's recording just about everything the grandchildren did. There is a modest amount of paint worn on off the focusing ring but overall I'd rate it 70 to 75% of new. It is still operating at 100% with unmarked glass with one exception.

The bottom most element has a sheen of oil on it most likely from the aperture blades. I would like to get the lens repaired. It is not something I wish to attempt on my own despite the You-tube videos. The lens has great sentimental value to me and I don't want to damage it further trying to save a couple of $'s.

Can anyone give me an approximate cost for the repair? I am considering spending $ 100.00 - $ 150.00 for the repair. It that a reasonable cost estimate or am I way off base? If my estimate seems in line can any of you also recommend a reputable repair shop for the job? A shop in the NE USA would be preferable though I will consider other areas of the country. I don't want to send it overseas.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Harrisburg, PA
smile.gif

Most reactions

Back