Nikkor vs. Sigma

Ok, here we go,

SO I went to the camera shop to compare the Nikkor 18-200 with the Sigma 18-200 for use with my D60.
...and the winner is....
I don't know because I traded in the D60 for a d90 with 24-120 AF-S VR f3.5

My wife is gonna kill one of you guys for talking me into it.
SO if she calls please just play along.

Thanks

Does this mean you never got so far as to compare the Nikon and Sigma 18-200? If you did compare them first, what was your take on them?

I just sold my Nikkor 18-200. It was a nice lens. It was a little soft around the 200mm end, but other than that I can't say anything bad about it. I have played around with the Tamron version as well. It was pretty nice. Really it had the same issues that the Nikkor had, soft at the far end. I Love Tamron stuff. I Have the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8. They are both really nice SHARP lenses. The only gripe that I have about them is that they don't have a clutch system for the focus so you have to switch to MF to adjust the AF manually. Don't discard a lens just because is isn't Nikkor.

Sorry, but that's a terrible rule.

My rule: buy what works. Don't buy a lens because of what name is on it, buy a lens based on reviews and price.

I agree, you cannot buy based on brand, you need to look at each one specifically. I own at least one lens from, Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, and Canon.

I might be a noob and have no idea what I am talking about, but I can show you some examples of 4 images that were taken with a Tamron 28-300mm lens. These I shot in my aquarium after figuring out what the exposure delay was for :banghead:. Originally it started for my 100mm Vivitar macro lens, but for times sake, I just happened to have the Tamron on the body, so I used it (since it didn't matter what lens I was using). I dunno for a $400 lens it works out pretty well IMHO.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum-photo-gallery/151138-camera-shake.html

Does this mean you never got so far as to compare the Nikon and Sigma 18-200? If you did compare them first, what was your take on them?

Sorry, I actually never did put the Sigma on a camera, so can't really offer a proper comparison.I also found the same combo of body and lens that I bought cheaper at another shop so I called the original shop to "renegotiate" and am going back there today to look at a different package again...maybe save a few bucks to put towards something else..we'll see.
I should start a new thread when I settle on my new purchase as I am getting way off topic here.

I'll keep you posted...no pun intended ;)

Sorry, I actually never did put the Sigma on a camera, so can't really offer a proper comparison.I also found the same combo of body and lens that I bought cheaper at another shop so I called the original shop to "renegotiate" and am going back there today to look at a different package again...maybe save a few bucks to put towards something else..we'll see.
I should start a new thread when I settle on my new purchase as I am getting way off topic here.

I'll keep you posted...no pun intended ;)

We want to hear about it for sure! Enjoy the D90, it's an awesome camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back