Nikon 1 V3

I agree, I feel they have done a ton of research and found that more people are now buying entry level dslr's(D3000/D5000 series) or mirrorless cameras. I bet they sell way more of those than a D4/D800 each day. So why invest into a mid level, to please a specific market. Of that market who wants a D400 some may leave when the 7D MII comes out but in reality they know Nikonians are going to stay. In a way they are doing a good thing for people who are currently working. They are making your options black n white. They are going to widen the gap between a pro body and a dslr camera.

I love my Fuji XE-2, its not going to replace my sports gear but it takes good pics of my daughters, scenery and its fun to use.

You may be right, but I just have a hard time believing the market for a pro-bodied DX camera is that small. Personally, I know of some pro photographers who would jump on one with a current generation sensor (hi ISO/low noise) and 7-9 fps. A friend who does portraits with her D800 wants to shoot high school sports, but the D800 isn't the right camera, her D300s struggles with the poor lighting (even with 2.8 lens), and she can't afford $6K for a D4. She told me she would jump all over a $2K DX with 7-9 fps (RAW). And I would too.

The fact Canon has taken so long to update the 7D makes me think there may be some truth the small market for a prosumer DX, but I kind of think it is more trying to push the high end DX user into the FF realm. Which, in my case has prevented Nikon (or Canon) from getting my money. I have had $4-$5K ready for a while to spend on a new body and a couple of lenses for sports shooting and I truly hope to get a new camera before next fall. I have been shooting Nikons since the early 90's and would love to stay with them, but if Canon gives me what I need and Nikon doesn't, then I have to jump ship.

I agree, I feel they have done a ton of research and found that more people are now buying entry level dslr's(D3000/D5000 series) or mirrorless cameras. I bet they sell way more of those than a D4/D800 each day. So why invest into a mid level, to please a specific market. Of that market who wants a D400 some may leave when the 7D MII comes out but in reality they know Nikonians are going to stay. In a way they are doing a good thing for people who are currently working. They are making your options black n white. They are going to widen the gap between a pro body and a dslr camera.

I love my Fuji XE-2, its not going to replace my sports gear but it takes good pics of my daughters, scenery and its fun to use.

You may be right, but I just have a hard time believing the market for a pro-bodied DX camera is that small. Personally, I know of some pro photographers who would jump on one with a current generation sensor (hi ISO/low noise) and 7-9 fps. A friend who does portraits with her D800 wants to shoot high school sports, but the D800 isn't the right camera, her D300s struggles with the poor lighting (even with 2.8 lens), and she can't afford $6K for a D4. She told me she would jump all over a $2K DX with 7-9 fps (RAW). And I would too.

The fact Canon has taken so long to update the 7D makes me think there may be some truth the small market for a prosumer DX, but I kind of think it is more trying to push the high end DX user into the FF realm. Which, in my case has prevented Nikon (or Canon) from getting my money. I have had $4-$5K ready for a while to spend on a new body and a couple of lenses for sports shooting and I truly hope to get a new camera before next fall. I have been shooting Nikons since the early 90's and would love to stay with them, but if Canon gives me what I need and Nikon doesn't, then I have to jump ship.

Given canon's track record I would be very surprised if the mark ii used anything other than the exact same sensor as the 7d.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Crazydad,

some good stuff in your last post. However, what you and I know is not what Nikon knows. I'm sure they have done their research on a pro dx body. Again my true feeling is that they are isolating people who work in the photography field from people who do not.

Let's compare it to cars. Would Porsche make a 50k model that is comparable to a 150k model? Is a Cayman a 911? Of course not.

I'm waiting to see the 7D MII and the D7200. Either of those cameras will meet most peoples needs. I enjoy my D3, plenty of life left, great imagery, raw files are small enough where I don't need to worry, it fits my needs very well. I shoot motorsports for the most part. I don't even know what 1600 ISO is 😄, unless I'm doing some high key shots.

I know one thing, it seems that there are a lot of people who are waiting for these models. If I were Nikon or Canon Id either say we are or are not making these bodies so people can focus on their business and what they need. It seems like they are trying to be the next Apple, here are our iphone 6 leaks, here is iOS 8 leaks.

DarkShadow said:
Then I have to ask how small is the market for a D4s at $6500 price tag. I believe if Nikon build a D400 and priced it reasonably it would be one of there best sellers along with the 7100 and entry level models.

Nikon says that D4 production at the Sendai, Japan plant tops out at 5,000 D4 cameras per month. So...there are 60,000 flagship models per year. These are "halo products" to amateurs and hobby shooters, and as such they provide a "lure" to the brand, as well as form an important part of the kit of high-level, high-visibility shooters.

Second, after high-end flagship camera have been replaced by newer models, those same bodies filter down to advanced amateurs, who buy them at very reasonable prices, and further perpetuate the Nikon mystique. You want a D3s? I have seen clean used ones as low as $1850 here in town, from a "real" brick and mortar store, Pro Photo Supply.

On top of that, the flagship model is also a marketing tool to drive the sales in the lower end market.

However, what you and I know is not what Nikon knows. I'm sure they have done their research on a pro dx body.

So true that we are not in their meeting rooms. I would love to be in there and see the thought processes. Until a month ago, I was a marketing and operations analyst for a major computer manufacturer and can tell you from first hand experience that corporations do not always read the data correctly and do get things completely wrong. A few years back, the prevailing thought in that company was tablets would never be more than a small niche market and netbooks would be the main products, so we did not invest much into developing a tablet. Whoops, missed that one. Before that, we tried to get into the smartphone market with a phone with a 5" screen that would not fit in the back pocket of a pair of jeans. Why so big? Because the VP at the time was convinced that was the size people really wanted. He is no longer there, but his ego killed any chance we had of getting into the smartphone business.

My main point is that in large corporations, there are a myriad of reasons why certain products see the light of day and others don't. And quite often those reasons are based on either bad data or competing egos. If I had to guess, I would think it is a combination of Nikon going after DSLR market share (cheaper to update low end DSLR line than build new body) and a decision to sink the R&D budget into mirror-less thinking that is the next huge market. Time will tell if they got it right.

The DF was a flop. …..

Really? What do you mean by flop? The camera sells well where available and is well received by it's buyers. Other than rumour sites there are very few real sales figures available from Nikon to support your statement.

FUJI ----------are doing well

Not really - their imaging division financial reports for the last four years show losses and reductions in revenue.

Given canon's track record I would be very surprised if the mark ii used anything other than the exact same sensor as the 7d.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Well allegedly canon suppose to use the duel pixel CMOS in the new 7D but if the Sensor turns out not much better then what is already used in the 70D I wont be upgrading from the 60D any time soon. The duel pixel really don't flatter me but a Nikon like DR, low noise at high ISO and a great buffer and build quality would thrill me. I Also don't want a full frame price tag either and needs to be under two grand. I just have a feeling what's alleged on paper wont translate in the real world.

Last edited:
DarkShadow said:
Then I have to ask how small is the market for a D4s at $6500 price tag. I believe if Nikon build a D400 and priced it reasonably it would be one of there best sellers along with the 7100 and entry level models.

Nikon says that D4 production at the Sendai, Japan plant tops out at 5,000 D4 cameras per month. So...there are 60,000 flagship models per year. These are "halo products" to amateurs and hobby shooters, and as such they provide a "lure" to the brand, as well as form an important part of the kit of high-level, high-visibility shooters.

Second, after high-end flagship camera have been replaced by newer models, those same bodies filter down to advanced amateurs, who buy them at very reasonable prices, and further perpetuate the Nikon mystique. You want a D3s? I have seen clean used ones as low as $1850 here in town, from a "real" brick and mortar store, Pro Photo Supply.

On top of that, the flagship model is also a marketing tool to drive the sales in the lower end market.

Hey, who are you calling lower end pal?

I'll have you know I fully intend to by a D3100 soon, so I can turn pro.. lol

Well allegedly canon suppose to use the duel pixel CMOS in the new 7D but if the Sensor turns out not much better then what is already used in the 70D I wont be upgrading from the 60D any time soon. The duel pixel really don't flatter me but a Nikon like DR, low noise at high ISO and a great buffer and build quality would thrill me. However I don't want a full frame price tag either.

I'm one of those wait and see what happens guys myself. It will be interested to see where they go with it. Even though I shoot Nikon I really hope the 7D mark II is the bees knees, because the better it is the more it will encourage Nikon to put out something to top it. Lol

Hey, who are you calling lower end pal?

I'll have you know I fully intend to by a D3100 soon, so I can turn pro.. lol

Yea what's that guy talking about I had the D3100 and got one or two good shoots from it.:mrgreen: No serious though even the Nikon D3100 the detail from that little camera in raw was excellent. The 5200 is even better so I say don't knock them they perform just great with out needing a second mortgage to get one.

Last edited:

Thom Hogan is even more pessimistic than the Nikon fanboys that the SOUNDIMAGEOPLUS's David Hughes is ridiculing in his latest column...this new camera is apparently a MESS, according to Thom...and it's overpriced...

Neither has spent a weekend with the camera but at least Hughes resists Thom's Solomonic analysis of a camera he's never touched. I like Hogan but he sometimes reads like Ken Rockwell's smarter brother.

I share with Hughes a huge dislike of online blather, noise over signal, and the clueless blowhards and gear fetishists who talk about stuff they've never used, much less owned.

Thom Hogan is even more pessimistic than the Nikon fanboys that the SOUNDIMAGEOPLUS's David Hughes is ridiculing in his latest column...this new camera is apparently a MESS, according to Thom...and it's overpriced...

Neither has spent a weekend with the camera but at least Hughes resists Thom's Solomonic analysis of a camera he's never touched. I like Hogan but he sometimes reads like Ken Rockwell's smarter brother.

I share with Hughes a huge dislike of online blather, noise over signal, and the clueless blowhards and gear fetishists who talk about stuff they've never used, much less owned.

Yeah, Hughes...the rabid SONY fanboy who talked up the A7r as if were the second coming of Christ, and gave it RAVE reviews inside of one week. I saved some of the SOUNDEIMAGEPLUS Sony fanboy rave web pages from his first week with the camera...I loved the part where he said he'd delete any comments from people who dared criticize his beloved new Sony. Talk about online blather and B.S...Hughes excels at it.

Hughes was guilty of loads of online-FANBOY blathering about his beloved new Sony. TOTAL, unadulterated fanboy gushing.

Hogan's commentary about the new Nikon 1 V3 was centered around obvious pricing issues and simple design facts: the introductory price of $1,200 in the US; the forced bundling of the EVF AND the 10-30mm lens; the fact that the EVF precludes use of the accessory shoe for a flash; the lack of lens hood; the absent filter threads...nobody needs to even touch the camera to comment on those types of things. Apparently to you, that's Solomic pontificating. Hilarious. FORCING customers to buy a camera body,the "optional" shoe-mounted EVF, AND another 10-30mm zoom lens? Lunacy on Nikon's part!

It's pretty obvious, as Hogan points out: Nikon is having a very difficult time designing a non-SLR camera, and it is, factually, pricing its 1-series mirrorless cameras at MUCH higher prices than its d-slr cameras. It's no wonder the $900 first-wave Nikon 1 cameras sat on shelves for months, and then were fire-sale priced at Targets and Best Buys all across the USA, just to get rid of the overstock! The new $1,200 price for a body,EVF, and a 10-30mm lens? My God...that is idiotic marketing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back