Nikon 14-24 or 24-70??

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so on the 19th there is going to be a large ATV and Airboat event going on and I want to rent a lens for the event. I'm thinking either the 14-24 or the 24-70. I can't really decide because what I'm really going to be photographing is the airboat races. I'm not quite sure if I want a wide view on this or the 24 to almost telephoto.

I will pretty close to all of the action so I can't see myself needing my 70-200 for that specific event. I don't think I will be able to rent both lenses so I have to choose between the two. I'm leaning on the 14-24 mostly because I like the different perspective on things(even though it's not sooo wide on my D90) Any help you guys have will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
TJ

The 14-24 is going to make things look pretty small and far away in the final images; an ultra-wide zoom like the 14-24 is great for "expanding" the depth of the scene, and it will make things that are close to the camera look moderately large, but the things in the background and middle ground will look very,very SMALL and distant. Not sure if that is the desired effect at most events...without very close and strong foreground elements, most photos shot with a really short focal length lack overall,total impact.

The 24-70 is not that much better,really. If this is some type of indoor "show" where you need to shoot photos from 5,10,15,20 feet, I can see the need for shorter focal lengths, but beyond 20 feet or so, images made with short focal lengths still have that "faraway" look, the look of e_x_p_a_n_s_i_o_n of the scene's physical depth.

I would imagine that for airboat races, on a lake or bay or saltwater inlet, that a longer lens like a 70-200 would actually be extremely useful. If most of the shooting is beyond 20 yards, I'd definitely think a 70-200 would be much more useful than a 24-70, on either FF or 1.5x Nikon bodies.

Alright sounds good! Looks like I will be breaking out my 70-200 then.

I will probably be renting the 14-24 though anyway mostly because I want to get it and am saving for it but just to make sure I want to rent it first. It should be good for some landscape stuff though. I'm having such a hard time with my next lens choice 24-70 or 14-24 grrr. I love the wide angle but am not sure how much i'll be using it. Good thing i'll be renting it I guess right?
TJ

I agree with Derrel - even if you are close to the action you will still need some reach since the boats will be out on the water (or over the flats) and thus a decent distance from yourself. A distance which will mean that you need to reach for the 70-200mm type of range.

I would say that the 24-70mm would be a good lens for the pits though - a good close working range that will let you cover the boats and drivers and such - the 14-24mm might give you far too much of that close up wide angle look - good fro a few shots but not the sort of thing you idealy want for a full days worth of such shooting.

I have all three and as much as I hate it, I agree with Derrels's assesment. (damnit :lol:) Seriously, the 14-24 will not give you any distinction of the action. I have been to several regattas (as a spectator only) and can't imagine that lens will do you any great service. For the action shot on the water, the 70-200mm will be much more advantageous IMO. Surely, you'll have some lesser focal length lenses to work the "pits and candids" with.

So then it would probably be a more wise decision to save up for the 24-70 rather than the 14-24 is what you guys are saying? I'm pretty open to either and Kundalini since you have the beautiful trinity you're a great person to ask. Have you found yourself using the 14-24 much or the 24-70 being much more useful?

Still waiting on that trinity d300/700 review thread :lol:
TJ

So then it would probably be a more wise decision to save up for the 24-70 rather than the 14-24 is what you guys are saying? I'm pretty open to either and Kundalini since you have the beautiful trinity you're a great person to ask. Have you found yourself using the 14-24 much or the 24-70 being much more useful?

Still waiting on that trinity d300/700 review thread :lol:
TJ
I haven't had the chance to put the 14-24mm through its paces yet. The 24-70 pretty much stays mounted on my camera. But that has as much to do with it fitting my camera bag as anything else. But I can say that I really like this lens for a general use.

I'm waiting for time and weather to do the comparison. I am very curious as well. I did start this thread about the bokeh that the 14-24mm achieves.

Sounds cool. When I really think about it though I think my next lens should be the 24-70 or something similar because I find myself wanting something just a bit wider than my 70-200. The 24-70 seems like the perfect match but that 14-24 is just soo nice. I'm really going to have to think out this decision. Both should be acquired in a few years though :D

What about the new 16-35VR?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back