Nikon_Josh
TPF Noob!
- Joined
- May 30, 2011
- Messages
- 936
- Reaction score
- 95
- Location
- Surrey, UK
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
I have always knocked the 18-200 VR as it seems like a compromise in IQ in certain respects, this was untill I went on holiday and didn't take my 70-300 VR due to the extra weight on the plane. So there I was without a telephoto lens at all and my trusty 18-55 VR, Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 50 1.4.
Needless to say despite the 18-55 VR being the worst lens of the three, it became by far my most used lens of the three. And there were times when 55mm became limiting and I yearned for a telephoto lens.. especially when an eagle started flying over the house one day which I had no chance of capturing because I didn't have my 70-300 VR with me which I rarely use or take anywhere anyway due to the majority of my shots being in the wide angle range.
The 18-200 is stating to seem like a great compromise now to me, it gives you decent mid range performance but also the telephoto you need on the spur of the moment.. I am starting to feel if I want real sharpness I can use one of my prime lenses. But the 18-200 is a great do all lens it would seem.. What do you guys think? Does anyone own the 18-200 here and love it?
Obviously this lens usually creates a mixed reaction, I was one of the people who questioned its compromise in IQ, but at the same time it is hugely versatile and will mean less missed shots especially on vacation.
I am wondering whether I should sell my 18-55 VR and 70-300 VR and purchase one of these, I love my 18-55 VR for its optical quality. But the build quality of the 18-200 far exceeds the build of the 18-55 VR which is also a huge bonus to me. As I hate the cheap plastic feel of the 18-55 VR.
Needless to say despite the 18-55 VR being the worst lens of the three, it became by far my most used lens of the three. And there were times when 55mm became limiting and I yearned for a telephoto lens.. especially when an eagle started flying over the house one day which I had no chance of capturing because I didn't have my 70-300 VR with me which I rarely use or take anywhere anyway due to the majority of my shots being in the wide angle range.
The 18-200 is stating to seem like a great compromise now to me, it gives you decent mid range performance but also the telephoto you need on the spur of the moment.. I am starting to feel if I want real sharpness I can use one of my prime lenses. But the 18-200 is a great do all lens it would seem.. What do you guys think? Does anyone own the 18-200 here and love it?
Obviously this lens usually creates a mixed reaction, I was one of the people who questioned its compromise in IQ, but at the same time it is hugely versatile and will mean less missed shots especially on vacation.
I am wondering whether I should sell my 18-55 VR and 70-300 VR and purchase one of these, I love my 18-55 VR for its optical quality. But the build quality of the 18-200 far exceeds the build of the 18-55 VR which is also a huge bonus to me. As I hate the cheap plastic feel of the 18-55 VR.
