What's new

Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 AF-D or 24-70mm f2.8 AF-D

ultimadrift

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 17, 2011
Messages
128
Reaction score
5
Location
Sacramento, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been wondering which of these lenses to buy. I will be switching to full frame soon and should I save the 700$ and go with the cheaper older Nikon? Or the newer one?
 
C'mon man we only live once, don't cut yourself short. I went with the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
 
But how much better is the 24-70? Ill be using this as a daily pro lens since I started working for youth sports company
 
But how much better is the 24-70? Ill be using this as a daily pro lens since I started working for youth sports company

I dunno, but you can google a plethora of review comparisons.
 
I've read tons of reviews on both lenses and none of which wins over one another which is why I'm in a dilemma
 
the wider 24 comes in handy ;)
 
Here are a few points to consider...

1) The 24-70 is slightly wider
2) The 28-70 is heavier and built better
3) The 28-70 will be fully functional on film cameras where the 24-70 will not
4) Both will deliver outstanding images

Allan
 
But how much better is the 24-70? Ill be using this as a daily pro lens since I started working for youth sports company

What kind of youth sports? Generally, the 24/28-70 wouldn't be considered a primary sports lens...even the youth variety.
 
Well I'm taking pictures mostly of portrait not actions. Like singles and also buddy pictures so a variety of focal lengths will be best. I already have an 80-200mm 2.8 AF-D for actions
 
I have the AF 28-70 f/2.8D. It comes out usually when I'm shooting film, I rarely bring it out on the D200 because it's not wide enough. Great on full frame though. Depending on how far off your full frame upgrade is I may suggest the 24-70 if you don't have any reason to use it on an old camera. By the way the 24-70 is an AF-S G series, not an AF D series.
 
The 24-70 is the way to go!

Not for field sports, but with the crop factor it is great on a secound body for indoor sports. And yes, I do carry it with me on the field for those shots of the team members on the sideline.

Good luck with your full frame upgrade!
 
28-70 is my choice! I saved 800euro compared to a new 24-70 as I found it used with warranty. Those 800 can cover well the 4mm I'll miss ;)
 
Sorry, the warranty is non-transferable ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom