Nikon 300mm f2.8 ais decentered elements?

optimumw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi...i bought this lens used for about 500$ for my nikon d810 but as i used it i noticed possible decentered problem of the lens...when i shoot landscapes with aperture between f2.8 to f5.6 with precise focus in the center the bottom right and left of the image appeared blurry...it is not very noticable from f8 and above...is this common with that lens or it is a problem? i cant find photo samples of other members using this lens with high resolution camera as nikon d810..thank you

Some samples:
DSC_0439
DSC_0439
DSC_9656
DSC_9655
DSC_9653

This review may provide some insight to the issues you are seeing.

Lens Review–Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AI-s ED

Additionally this paragraph from Bjørn Rørslett sums up its performance:
"In common with other ED-IF designs from the same era, the 300/2.8 does show some peripheral colour fringing used on the D2X and D3. Image sharpness suffers as well. Post-processing can mitigate this issue to some extent, but I have to admit that the modern 300 mm designs should be preferred with these modern cameras."

The 300/2.8 was a top tier lens back then.

Thus obviously it absolutely not should suffer any decentering issues.

I myself use a 300/4.5 from those times and the output is pure gorgeous, including certainly no sharpness issues.

You wont find many people with lenses like a 300/2.8 of any generation, simply because they are rare.

ok..my only concern is if the lens opened or damaged from previous owner or its simply normal to perform like this on high resolution cameras like D810...i dont have another identical 300mm lens to put it on and compare

Not all models of the Nikkor 300 mm F2.8 are created equal. The design has changed over time and the current AF-S G VR-II is simply stunning, one of the best in Nikon’s lineup, the price reflects its quality. ;)

Actually when Nikon did AI and AI-S lenses, their production standards have probably been the highest, with everything made out of metal etc.

Its only ever since that they succumbed to lower and lower production standards, recently reaching a new low with the plastic fantastic lenses we get for the Nikon Z system.

Not that it makes much difference for a 300/2.8, since you simply have no choice but to make it robust. Its far too large and heavy to do otherwise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back