Do you clean your own sensor?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got some spots on my XT2 sensor. Tried to blow them off with the rocket blower but they are not budging. Probably something blew in there the other night when I was out shooting the harvest moon - it was very windy by the ocean and I changed lenses at one point. It needs a cleaning and I've never done that before.

Do it myself or take it to the local camera store?
How easy is it to do?
Any tips or tutorial links?
How much damage can I do if I screw it up?

yes, I have always cleaned my own sensor. My biggest tip is not to use too much solution. One drop is quite sufficient. One of the biggest problems is using too much solution, and thus leaving streaks on the sensor glass protector .

there are a number of good how to videos on YouTube that will show you how to clean your camera sensor. My advice would be to look into the Arctic butterfly method.

Its easy to clean your own sensor with mirrorless camera, I do mine frequently.......

The only time I attempted it, I had access to some specialized equipment where I work. I was able to access a low-pressure nitrogen nozzle and blow out the debris that was on the sensor.

you need to have some good swabs

It's easy, and you really can't do any harm. The worst you can do (without really putting effort in to it), is, as Derrel mentions, use excessive fluid and 'streak' the sensor. That doesn't damage it, just makes it a pain to get clean. I use the Arctic Butterfly line myself. They make good kit, and it works well, just read, and FOLLOW all the directions.

That said, avoiding grot on the sensor is the best method. When you change lenses, make sure you hold the camera body with the lens mount facing down. Keep it well above the ground, and shelter it from the wind with your body. Give the back end of the lens you're mounting a quick 'huff' and get it installed quickly. In seventeen years of digital photography, I've had to wet-clean a sensor once, and dry-clean, maybe once every 2-3 years.

Yes. I picked up a kit by Photographic Solutions, but there are others. The wipes (a paddle with lint-free cloth sleeve) is sized for the sensor.
Lighted magnifier (so I can see all the SBs), rocket blower, moistened purpose-made wipes, reinspect with magnifier.

How easy is it to do?
1. I wouldn't. I don't know if the technician is skilled or not.
2. Yes, providing you have the right stuff and follow the directions.
3. YouTube search, but be sure to "evaluate" each one until you find one that is believable.
4. Don't touch the shutter curtain. Lock shutter open and mirror up. Blow out any loose dust before starting. Don't press the sensor hard. Don't touch the swab to anything. Don't re-swipe the surface with a soiled swab.

yes, I have always cleaned my own sensor. My biggest tip is not to use too much solution. One drop is quite sufficient. One of the biggest problems is using too much solution, and thus leaving streaks on the sensor glass protector .

Thanks good tip. All of the articles I read said 2 drops!

there are a number of good how to videos on YouTube that will show you how to clean your camera sensor. My advice would be to look into the Arctic butterfly method.

That one is a bit pricey but will check it out.

Its easy to clean your own sensor with mirrorless camera, I do mine frequently.......

Good to know thanks!

The only time I attempted it, I had access to some specialized equipment where I work. I was able to access a low-pressure nitrogen nozzle and blow out the debris that was on the sensor.

Sounds scary.

you need to have some good swabs

Thanks.

It's easy, and you really can't do any harm. The worst you can do (without really putting effort in to it), is, as Derrel mentions, use excessive fluid and 'streak' the sensor. That doesn't damage it, just makes it a pain to get clean. I use the Arctic Butterfly line myself. They make good kit, and it works well, just read, and FOLLOW all the directions.

That said, avoiding grot on the sensor is the best method. When you change lenses, make sure you hold the camera body with the lens mount facing down. Keep it well above the ground, and shelter it from the wind with your body. Give the back end of the lens you're mounting a quick 'huff' and get it installed quickly. In seventeen years of digital photography, I've had to wet-clean a sensor once, and dry-clean, maybe once every 2-3 years.

I'm going to give it a try. Just ordered a kit from Amazon that was recommended by some XT2 users on my Facebook group.

Yes. I picked up a kit by Photographic Solutions, but there are others. The wipes (a paddle with lint-free cloth sleeve) is sized for the sensor.
Lighted magnifier (so I can see all the SBs), rocket blower, moistened purpose-made wipes, reinspect with magnifier.

I like that lighted magnifier idea. My eyesight is terrible lately.

How easy is it to do?
1. I wouldn't. I don't know if the technician is skilled or not.
2. Yes, providing you have the right stuff and follow the directions.
3. YouTube search, but be sure to "evaluate" each one until you find one that is believable.
4. Don't touch the shutter curtain. Lock shutter open and mirror up. Blow out any loose dust before starting. Don't press the sensor hard. Don't touch the swab to anything. Don't re-swipe the surface with a soiled swab.

It's mirrorless so it is right there staring at me lol.

FWIW, cleaning a sensor isn't really difficult but there are risks. Use proper tools designed exclusively for sensor cleaning and never reuse a swab after you have done a cleaning even though the price of them is ridiculous a scratched sensor glass will cost you more by a factor of 10.

Personally I use a sensor magnifier, it makes a huge difference in seeing the tiny specs. If you use a sensor brush I highly recommend you clean it after use since it will pick up debris and possible contaminants. Failure to do so will result in them being wiped back on the sensor glass the next time you use it. I use 99.95% Isopropyl alcohol and then spin it dry for storage.

My brand of choice is Visible Dust, they make a bunch of products for cleaning.

Not scary at all! Very much like using any other source of compressed air, just with pure N2 at a fairly low pressure.

I would disagree with the notion that you can't do any harm. I feel that there is potential to scratch the sensor if you press too hard especially if the debris is some sort of hard grit. Just wipe softly and it should be fine.

I also advocate the use of any form of magnification you can find. But maybe be careful and do not look at your own cuticles. I frequently work under a microscope and have made that mistake....

I don’t, I don’t have the fine movement in my hands.
To be honest like firmware upgrades I rather pay my local camera shop rather than take the risk.
But each to their own, I do things that I know that I can do or if I mess up will

A not put me in the dog house with my loving wife
B not matter
C not cost me a fortune to put right.
Good luck to those that can clean the inside of their cameras, I,d never be any good on wildlife film making
I would not be able to maintain the cameras

FWIW, cleaning a sensor isn't really difficult but there are risks. Use proper tools designed exclusively for sensor cleaning and never reuse a swab after you have done a cleaning even though the price of them is ridiculous a scratched sensor glass will cost you more by a factor of 10.

Personally I use a sensor magnifier, it makes a huge difference in seeing the tiny specs. If you use a sensor brush I highly recommend you clean it after use since it will pick up debris and possible contaminants. Failure to do so will result in them being wiped back on the sensor glass the next time you use it. I use 99.95% Isopropyl alcohol and then spin it dry for storage.

My brand of choice is Visible Dust, they make a bunch of products for cleaning.

Thanks for the tips. I have a hands free lighted magnifying glass so hopefully that will work.

Not scary at all! Very much like using any other source of compressed air, just with pure N2 at a fairly low pressure.

I would disagree with the notion that you can't do any harm. I feel that there is potential to scratch the sensor if you press too hard especially if the debris is some sort of hard grit. Just wipe softly and it should be fine.

I also advocate the use of any form of magnification you can find. But maybe be careful and do not look at your own cuticles. I frequently work under a microscope and have made that mistake....

Lol about the cuticles. I use have a lighted magnifying make up mirror so I know what you mean.

Most reactions

Back