Who has a drone? Thoughts?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thinking of getting a drone. I was planning to get myself one for Christmas last year but ended up paying $$$$ for our dog's surgery! Now I'm back looking at drones again. I love the unique (for now) perspectives you can get and really like the idea of trying something new. Also have several realtor friends who would be interested in paying me to take overhead photos of their listings so I could possibly make a bit of money...

Pros? Cons? Difficulty level of getting the photo you want? Do you use it enough to justify the cost? Do you use it for real estate sales? If so how much do you charge?

There is a drone beginners type of workshop being held by a company I'm familiar with where you learn to fly them and try a few different options. They supply the drones for the workshop and it's not crazy expensive. I am planning to give it a try then decide if I'm interested enough to get one. Would love some input from TPF members who have one.

I've got a dji Spark; small, fairly low-end. I use it primarily for video clips when I'm shooting running/cycling events. I can put it in a stationary hover at 10 - 15'AGL and have it record video while I shoot stills. Works very well. They're also really handy for things like deciding if you need to clean your gutters! :lol: I actually use mine a lot just for fun as well... Before you spend any serious money though, read up on the local laws, and decide if it's worth it... use is becoming VERY restricted in urban areas.

I've got a dji Spark; small, fairly low-end. I use it primarily for video clips when I'm shooting running/cycling events. I can put it in a stationary hover at 10 - 15'AGL and have it record video while I shoot stills. Works very well. They're also really handy for things like deciding if you need to clean your gutters! :lol: I actually use mine a lot just for fun as well... Before you spend any serious money though, read up on the local laws, and decide if it's worth it... use is becoming VERY restricted in urban areas.

Good info thanks! Local restrictions is one of the things that is covered in the workshop.

If you have looked though much of my work on my FB page, you will see I love mine. I have a Mavic 2 Pro. I mainly use mine rurally so I do not run into a lot of restricted areas.

With that said, if you want to fly commercially (business, sell, trade for services) there are many additional requirements and licensing. Not hard, just need to make sure you are covered.

If you have an specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

I also have a DJI Spark and have been mostly happy with it. I wanted something on the lower end of the budget that was more of a professional toy or entry level professional tool, and it fit the bill. I occasionally use it for actual photography, but more often I use it to inspect the roof, check if I trimmed my bushes straight, or for aerial mapping similar to google maps. I’ve had some issues with it, but they don’t seem to be specific to this model. At this point it’s getting s bit long in the tooth and is likely on the verge of being discontinued.

If you have an interest in learning to fly, or think you could make some money doing aerial real estate photography, I’d say go for it! I would suggest waiting until Black Friday to see what is heavily discounted if you don’t have your heart set on anything specific.

Last edited:
Check and know the FAA rules.
There are specific rules about using a drone.
If you are shooting commercially (for a realtor) that is very different than a hobbyist, and subject to different rules and licensing.
You CANNOT fly above people. Safety, if the drone crashes, people could get hurt.

You need a plan B.
Stay AWAY from roofs and trees. You want NOTHING between the drone and the ground.
If your drone crashes on the roof of a house or in a tree, how will you get it down (IF you can)?
Air is not still.
I personally would NOT fly in any but the MILDEST wind.
It is too easy to loose control and have the wind carry the drone away.
The wind a hundred feet up can be very different/faster than the wind at ground level.​
Terrain and large objects/buildings can change the wind flow.​

The new drones are much easier to fly than even a few years ago.

They're noisy!! boy, are they noisy! there was testing in my area (and were impractical and weren't put into use AFAIK). There are restrictions (in my area due to an international airport, depending on how close you live). Can't fly them over arenas, stadiums, etc. (at least not during events). As mentioned, it would be necessary to know and follow FAA rules. It's considered to be an unmanned aircraft, not like those hobby RC controlled planes, etc.

To me, what would you do with all the footage?? Is it worth the cost? How long will it be fun before it ends up in a garage or attic? (How long before peeps on social media have seen it, lose interest, and don't care anymore?!!! lol) What happens if it crashes and damages someone's property? Would you need insurance? If considering real estate what's being done in your area? (With my parents' house being sold recently all I saw were cell phone pictures.) If it's high end property or commercial, then a photographer or marketing firm seems to usually be hired.

Probably a workshop would be the best way to try it out.

If you have looked though much of my work on my FB page, you will see I love mine. I have a Mavic 2 Pro. I mainly use mine rurally so I do not run into a lot of restricted areas.

With that said, if you want to fly commercially (business, sell, trade for services) there are many additional requirements and licensing. Not hard, just need to make sure you are covered.

If you have an specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

Thanks for your input and the info. I’m sure I’ll have specific questions if/after I do the workshop.

I also have a DJI Spark and have been mostly happy with it. I wanted something on the lower end of the budget that was more of a professional toy or entry level professional tool, and it fit the bill. I occasionally use it for actual photography, but more often I use it to inspect the drool, check if I trimmed my bushes straight, or for aerial mapping similar to google maps. I’ve had some issues with it, but they don’t seem to be specific to this model. At this point it’s getting s bit long in the tooth and is likely on the verge of being discontinued.

If you have an interest in learning to fly, or think you could make some money doing aerial real estate photography, I’d say go for it! I would suggest waiting until Black Friday to see what is heavily discounted if you don’t have your heart set on anything specific.

Yes a Black Friday sale would be ideal but will need to know what I’m looking for to make that work. I saw a few last year on sale but had no idea what to look for. If I decide to buy I’ll be prepared this time.

Check and know the FAA rules.
There are specific rules about using a drone.
If you are shooting commercially (for a realtor) that is very different than a hobbyist, and subject to different rules and licensing.
You CANNOT fly above people. Safety, if the drone crashes, people could get hurt.

You need a plan B.
Stay AWAY from roofs and trees. You want NOTHING between the drone and the ground.
If your drone crashes on the roof of a house or in a tree, how will you get it down (IF you can)?
Air is not still.
I personally would NOT fly in any but the MILDEST wind.
It is too easy to loose control and have the wind carry the drone away.
The wind a hundred feet up can be very different/faster than the wind at ground level.​
Terrain and large objects/buildings can change the wind flow.​

The new drones are much easier to fly than even a few years ago.

Great points and tips thanks!

They're noisy!! boy, are they noisy! there was testing in my area (and were impractical and weren't put into use AFAIK). There are restrictions (in my area due to an international airport, depending on how close you live). Can't fly them over arenas, stadiums, etc. (at least not during events). As mentioned, it would be necessary to know and follow FAA rules. It's considered to be an unmanned aircraft, not like those hobby RC controlled planes, etc.

To me, what would you do with all the footage?? Is it worth the cost? How long will it be fun before it ends up in a garage or attic? (How long before peeps on social media have seen it, lose interest, and don't care anymore?!!! lol) What happens if it crashes and damages someone's property? Would you need insurance? If considering real estate what's being done in your area? (With my parents' house being sold recently all I saw were cell phone pictures.) If it's high end property or commercial, then a photographer or marketing firm seems to usually be hired.

Probably a workshop would be the best way to try it out.

Most of the realtors around here use professional photographers to take pics of their listings or they do it themselves if they have the skills. Properties are not pricey enough for this region to warrant a marketing firm but they are definitely not using cell phone photos. I’ve seen a few listings with drone shots. Our town is full of realtors and I know most of them so it could turn out to be lucrative.

One thing that I had a HARD time learning is, flying it back towards me.
This is because left for the drone, is right to me as I am looking at the front of the drone. And this situation can seriously mess you up.
If you use the real time video it may be easier to keep left and right straight.
But you still have to transition to your own eyes on the drone.

I found doing a LOT of practice flying squares and circles, helps to get used to the drone's perspective.

Caution, when shooting a house/property, you may need to be over someone else's property.
That can be a touchy situation.
You should advise the other property owner of the drone's purpose and get their OK, so they don't call the police on you for aerial trespassing and snooping/casing their home.

Last edited:
I got a Mavic Mini last month and started learning a little, but got too busy and the weather got a bit nasty for such a little drone. But I brought it with me on a visit to my sister a couple of days ago and flew it around their lake a little before it rained. Fun to be in the flat lands with it, I'll tell ya. I'm a terrible video editor, but the Mini is amazing for its size and cost.

I read up on the regs before I ordered one. And there are far more draconian rules pending from the FAA that could kill the hobby outright. Luckily, the Mini doesn't have to be registered (currently).

Most reactions

Back