Nikon 50mm lens

mltran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking about getting a 50mm lens, what are the differenced between the two lenses:

Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Autofocus Lens
and
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Autofocus Lens

I believe the AF-S is the new one that came out not long ago. For those who have the Nikon DSLR camera that do not have the focus motor drive pin. i.e. D40, D40x and D60.

with a D50, you're better off with the AF version; I own the AF-S version, and it is amazingly sharp, and the AF is lightning fast - I just can't say what sort of difference you would see with a D50 that already has the AF motor built in.

I would suggest trying them both side by side, they say the AF-S version is a little sharper and faster, but gives up a little in the contrast side of things (from what I've read. . . .)

I believe the 50mm f/1.4D has the aperture ring for use on older cameras, and the G doesn't.

I use the 1.8 and it is a fantastic lens...also less than half the price of the 1.4

Agreed, the 50mm lens is so light that there isn't much of an advantage to afs.
Unless you have a D40/X/60 then there is an advantage. To the poster get the non-AF-S. I could almost see the price justification if they made it into a DX version as well as AF-S. But that isnt the case.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back