Nikon 85mm 1.8G Sharpness (wide open)

shoot it at 2.8 or even at 4 and get the eye in focus, distance to subject matters so as suggested test it out - I had that lens and it's superb..

"I WANT COUPLE FULL LENGTH PICTURE PIN SHARP WITH BLUR BACKGROUND."

Full length at that distance, maybe try f4 or f5.6 and space the subjects away from the background.

"I WANT COUPLE FULL LENGTH PICTURE PIN SHARP WITH BLUR BACKGROUND."

Full length at that distance, maybe try f4 or f5.6 and space the subjects away from the background.
Sooooo thanks for kind n quick reply

Pls advice what I can do when
I WANT COUPLE FULL LENGTH PICTURE PIN SHARP WITH BLUR BACKGROUND.
I understand your frustration, but I actually answered your question in your other thread.

I advised you to learn something about depth of field (DOF) (or depth of focus is you prefer).

I also attached a link to an online DOF calculator that anyone can use to figure the DOF of a shot.

Yes, this may be a difficult concept to learn, but if you do not take the time to learn it, you will forever make the same mistakes.

DO THIS:

1. Have your subjects stand well in front of the background. About 10 meter is minimum. 20 meters is better.

2. Set your aperture to 5.6

3. Back up away from your subjects at least 20 meters.

4. Take the shot.

Wasn’t sure if your previous reply was sarcastic or not sooooo....Just because you have 1.8 ... don’t use it.. go with the above advice, you have a great camera and great lens... but even with pro gear without a basic understanding of photography you will fall short..

Sent from my mobile device because I’m either outside or too lazy to get my MacBook..

Pls advice what I can do when
I WANT COUPLE FULL LENGTH PICTURE PIN SHARP WITH BLUR BACKGROUND.
I understand your frustration, but I actually answered your question in your other thread.

I advised you to learn something about depth of field (DOF) (or depth of focus is you prefer).

I also attached a link to an online DOF calculator that anyone can use to figure the DOF of a shot.

Yes, this may be a difficult concept to learn, but if you do not take the time to learn it, you will forever make the same mistakes.

DO THIS:

1. Have your subjects stand well in front of the background. About 10 meter is minimum. 20 meters is better.

2. Set your aperture to 5.6

3. Back up away from your subjects at least 20 meters.

4. Take the shot.
Oh sorry,yeh I was read URS last reply who is very helpful for me.sooo thanks again

While all lenses are always sharper stepped down it doesn't mean you still cant get very sharp pictures even fully open.
Its a lot also depends of the skills of the photographer.
Here is a picture of a bride I took with my Nikon 85mm 1.8G
F1.8 This is an awesome lens and I LOVE it!!!

AE1_1912_zpsxag5mjba.jpg
Very good taken picture but anybody can advice that why bride nose ring or some dress side is blury..suppose if I want take this type pic in PIN SHARP AT ANY PART(same frame)so what I do.

Very good taken picture but anybody can advice that why bride nose ring or some dress side is blury..suppose if I want take this type pic in PIN SHARP AT ANY PART(same frame)so what I do.
You must be able to visualize a plane in space. That plane is perpendicular to the central axis of your lens, no matter which way the lens is pointed.

That plane represents the area of acceptable focus, and will vary in thickness according to the laws of physics.

In the bride photo, I see evidence of a very shallow DOF, such that even though one eye is in focus, her other eye is not. Also, her headpiece, one eyebrow, and nose is in focus, but the part of the nose ring that is against her cheek is not in focus because it falls outside the DOF. I will estimate the DOF in this shot to be only about 1 to 1-1/2 inches deep, meaning anything that is either closer or farther than her eye will simply not be in focus.

Continue to watch videos or do more reading about DOF in order to better understand.

Now for your question: In order to make everything pin sharp in such a photograph, you will need to consider these factors:

Focal length of your lens. (shorter than 85mm) -Use a 35mm or 50mm lens.
Aperture (smaller than f/1.8) -Use f/5.6 for instance (experiment).
More distance to your subject. (farther than one meter) Back away from your subject to at least 2 or 3 meters. (again, experiment)

Pose your subject to avoid any portion of her body or attire being substantially closer or farther than your DOF.

You must be able to visualize a plane in space. That plane is perpendicular to the central axis of your lens, no matter which way the lens is pointed.

That plane represents the area of acceptable focus, and will vary in thickness according to the laws of physics.

In the bride photo, I see evidence of a very shallow DOF, such that even though one eye is in focus, her other eye is not. Also, her headpiece, one eyebrow, and nose is in focus, but the part of the nose ring that is against her cheek is not in focus because it falls outside the DOF. I will estimate the DOF in this shot to be only about 1 to 1-1/2 inches deep, meaning anything that is either closer or farther than her eye will simply not be in focus.

Continue to watch videos or do more reading about DOF in order to better understand.

Now for your question: In order to make everything pin sharp in such a photograph, you will need to consider these factors:

Focal length of your lens. (shorter than 85mm) -Use a 35mm or 50mm lens.
Aperture (smaller than f/1.8) -Use f/5.6 for instance (experiment).
More distance to your subject. (farther than one meter) Back away from your subject to at least 2 or 3 meters. (again, experiment)

Pose your subject to avoid any portion of her body or attire being substantially closer or farther than your DOF.
Wonder of thanks for kind detail replyfor u

as other have stated, your issue is Depth of Field.

here's one of my posts from years ago with picture examples about DOF => Struggling with Focus

for another online reference read here ==> Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
This may look confusing (from above page link), but as you experiment and learn more it will make sense
dof_lensdiagram.png

and for an online calculator => A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator
Keep in Mind DOF is based on
- distance to subject
- aperture
- distance of subject to background
- DOF has "in-focus" distance from the mid point and some before and after

Just practice on it at home at various apertures on salt/pepper shakers on the table, toys in a line, a fence, etc. Something where there is a line of something and you can learn DOF.

Now keep in mind, if your shutter speed is too slow things can get "fuzzy" from that too.

as other have stated, your issue is Depth of Field.

here's one of my posts from years ago with picture examples about DOF => Struggling with Focus

for another online reference read here ==> Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
This may look confusing (from above page link), but as you experiment and learn more it will make sense
dof_lensdiagram.png

and for an online calculator => A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator
Keep in Mind DOF is based on
- distance to subject
- aperture
- distance of subject to background
- DOF has "in-focus" distance from the mid point and some before and after

Just practice on it at home at various apertures on salt/pepper shakers on the table, toys in a line, a fence, etc. Something where there is a line of something and you can learn DOF.

Now keep in mind, if your shutter speed is too slow things can get "fuzzy" from that too.
Waoooo this is really very helpful

Also the focal length of the lens.

Most reactions

Back