Nikon 85mm f1.8g

xyphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Now the announcement is out. Cannot wait to see how it performs. It might just become the no 1 selling lens for Nikon this year.

xhttp://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/Nikon_Nikkor_AFS85mm

Another lens with a 67mm filter size...that's almost a secret society handshake...take a look at the Nikkors that have 67mm filters....they are the "enthusiastic amateur lenses"...it's one of the design parameters Nikon has adopted that not many people are really very aware of...it's not written out officially, just something I have seen over the last few years...the lenses Nikon thinks serious amateurs will want have 67mm filter size...

I kinda want that lens. I had the 85 1.8d version sent to me and I liked it but....I wasn't too keen on always manual focusing.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/Nikon_Nikkor_AFS85mm

Another lens with a 67mm filter size...that's almost a secret society handshake...take a look at the Nikkors that have 67mm filters....they are the "enthusiastic amateur lenses"...it's one of the design parameters Nikon has adopted that not many people are really very aware of...it's not written out officially, just something I have seen over the last few years...the lenses Nikon thinks serious amateurs will want have 67mm filter size...

I'm really hoping that the 85mm will be at least as good as the 50mm that was released last year.

So I guess the 35mm f/1.4G falls into this category?

It seems like a nice lens, i've been waiting for a replacement for the 1.8D for years. I really like the 1.8D, but I hate it's straight blades and AF, it's unrefined and clunky, kept me from buying one. Depending on how things go, I might pick one of these up in March :)

So I guess the 35mm f/1.4G falls into this category?

It seems like a nice lens, i've been waiting for a replacement for the 1.8D for years. I really like the 1.8D, but I hate it's straight blades and AF, it's unrefined and clunky, kept me from buying one. Depending on how things go, I might pick one of these up in March :)

I agree, the 85 1.8 AF-D as mentioned before was sold very soon after buying it! It was a sharp lens, but I found the bokeh appalling.

djacobox372 said:
It would probably be cheaper to upgrade to a body with an AF motor then to upgrade to the lens.

Why oh why did you have to tell me that?

I really really regret not getting the d7000. I didn't really do any research on different cameras - I know how bad that is now - but I wish I did because I had the money for the d7000 and it would've been cheaper in the long run. Who knows - maybe I will upgrade around tax season if I can find someone to buy my camera. I was planning on buying that lens when it comes out but I changed my mind. Maybe I'll get a new camera instead!

I kinda want that lens. I had the 85 1.8d version sent to me and I liked it but....I wasn't too keen on always manual focusing.

It would probably be cheaper to upgrade to a body with an AF motor then to upgrade to the lens.

The MSRP in the press release was $499.00. I think that's less than a new body.
And you'll have a MUCH better lens than the D version.

djacobox372 said:

I really really regret not getting the d7000. I didn't really do any research on different cameras - I know how bad that is now - but I wish I did because I had the money for the d7000 and it would've been cheaper in the long run. Who knows - maybe I will upgrade around tax season if I can find someone to buy my camera. I was planning on buying that lens when it comes out but I changed my mind. Maybe I'll get a new camera instead!

I, too, wish I'd just bought the D7000. I did do some research, but there were things I just didn't really understand in terms of how they would impact everything else. One of those things was the internal motor. I just missed the fact that the lack of an internal motor on the D5100 meant buying more expensive AF-S lenses, or trying to focus manually. Plus my sister, who has the D90, was encouraging me towards either a used D90 or a new D5100, so it seemed like the right thing.

Still, for a first DSLR, I'm happy. I'll probably keep it for at least a year, maybe two, then upgrade to a used D7000.

Back on topic--I'm just now looking at a 35mm or 50mm prime. I'll wait and let the rest of you test the 85mm!

djacobox372 said:

Inception!

For those who are looking to get a d7000 be VERY careful!!! Some of them have SERIOUS focus issues!! I just took mine into the shop for the second time because it is focusing to the left. For example if I focus on an eye I get the ear sharp and crisp. And if I shoot With the camera vertical maybe the hands or shirt will be in focus...or maybe it doesn't focus at all it is absolutely frustrating! I've owned a d50 and a d90 and NEVER had this kind of trouble!!! There are forums upon forums about auto focus issues with this camera if you are thinking of buying one you might want to do a google search on the issue first!!!

Im still waiting to get mine back its going on 4 weeks now. Luckily I bought it from best buy so they will either fix it or replace it. But as soon as I get it back (fixed or replaced) I'm going to sell it and buy d300s which is what I should have got in the first place! This is a camera I don't feel I can trust and I'm more than happy to get rid of it!!! Sry for the rant but I would hate for someone else to have to go through this with such an expensive camera...seriously, I would have been better off keeping my d90 I would have save myself a lot of grief, time, money, and most important a lot of precious photographs!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back