Nikon Adapter Ring....

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, So if any of you had noticed, yes, I posted a "similar" thread to this one...however, it was in regards to a extension tube...

my hubby secretly purchased me a new Nikon adapter ring ( BR-2A )
for mothers day ( keeping in mind he knows nothing about cameras himself.. lol, but he knows ive been interested in macro, so he was trying.lol)

We've read around about using the reverse lens method, thought it sounded like a nice affordable way to get some decent macros.

Got it, put it on.. "no lens attached"
..........turned off the AF, threw it into *M* Mode...problem solved.

looked through the view finder, ( like looking into the black hole) nothing...

went into the direct sunlight...got SUPER close to the subject ( any subject ) i was attempting to shoot....looked great through the viewfinder.
.. got all excited for a second.

Then...snapped the shot. Nothing.

The image comes out Black. I tried, and tried messing with settings.

( also it wont let me change the F stop?) And everything i read on google suggested doing so...

I only have the 2 lenses.. stated in my Sig. i tried it on my Kit lens...

What am i doing wrong? Will it not work with these 2 lenses? ....maybe a waste of money? =/

Id like to get it up and working if possible, so any suggestions, or steps in the right directions would be awesome, id really appreciate it!

As a preface, I have never done this but... can you just put your finger on the little lever that controls the aperture on the back of the lens? All the way open would be till it stopped right?

What am i doing wrong? Will it not work with these 2 lenses? ...

It will be rather difficult to use, and quite limited, with the 18-55. This type of reversing doesn't work well with any long lens (e.g. your 55-200).

Your problems are:

1. Your lens is a "G" series lens and lacks its own f/stop ring. When it is uncoupled from the camera body, as it is when reversed on a BR-2a, you have very little f/stop control. It closes to minimum aperture by default and can be opened to maximum by manually operating the aperture stop down lever on the back of the lens (now in front) with your finger. If you are crafty, you could modify a rear lens cap by cutting the bottom out (it will then function as a modest lens hood for the reversed lens) and rigging a tab on the inside to hold the aperture level in the open position.

2. Autofocusing is, of course, disabled since there is not connection between the lens and body. You have to focus manually, which in macro is best done by moving the camera toward and away from the subject. Your lens' focusing ring will be of little use although changing focal length with the zoom ring will be rather useful. The VF is normally very dim because of the aperture issue in #1, above. You have to manually hold the aperture lever open to view and focus. Nikon uses to make an odd extension tube that could be used for the purpose of opening and closing the aperture in situations like this; it was called the BR-4. They also made/make a BR-3 that serves as a hood but has no provision to access the aperture stopdown lever.

3. Your body, like other Nikon entry level models in recent years, will not meter unless using a lens with electrical meter coupling and with that coupling connected. When using a lens reversed, there is no metering. Working out the correct exposure is a bit tricky. You can mount the lens normally and meter in manual, selecting either the minimum or maximum lens aperture, to determine a starting point for the shutter speed. You then mount the lens reversed, hold the lens stop down lever in the open position, focus by moving the camera and lens toward or away from the subject, either keep the lens aperture open or let is closed depending on how you metered, and then shoot several shots at a range of shutter speeds around the speed determined when you metered. Its slow and clumbsy, but it works.

In practice, the BR-2a works best with lenses that have their own f/stop rings, such as the older manual focus lenses and non-G AF lenses.

Just bought a 50mm 1.8. Ill give it a try on that...

The 50mm f/1.8, all versions, work very well on a BR-2a. I recommend that you set the focusing ring to minimum focusing distance. This will have absolutely no effect on the focusing or image magnification, but will recess the rear element (now in front) into the lens barrel slightly. You'll be less likely to brush your finger against it will holding the aperture stopdown lever open to focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back